Selling house contents – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Selling house contents

13 Posts
8 Users
14 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@markba)

Hello all,

I am selling the content of our house in Aveiro.

We are now nearing the completion of the sale so we need to empty the property of all its contents by the end of October. 

Does anyone know of a company that would buy 2nd hand furniture or alternatively hold an open-house sale/auction, if that sort of thing works in Portugal?

We also need to organise a skip or two as well, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. 

If anyone is interested in buying some 2nd hand furniture (most of which was imported from the UK) we'd be happy to arrange a quick sale.

I'm planning on being in Portugal from the 2nd week of October and have a two-week window to complete this task.

Any help and advice are greatly appreciated.

I'll add some photos shortly

Thanks in advance.

Mark

12 Replies
Premium Member
(@stephenwonders)

Hello Mark,

You could try selling on olx.pt it is a website here in Portugal for selling things. You can include photos. 

Boa sorte

1 Reply
Community Member
(@markba)

@stephenwonders 

Thanks, Stephen, Good to know. I'm ideally looking to sell in bulk, most of it vintage Italian style furniture, Will give it a go. Thanks for the lead

Community Member
(@jeanne)

Are garage or estate sales not done in PT?  By which I mean, advertising a sale date and people come to the house to browse and purchase?

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@stephenwonders)

@jeanne Good idea, I would love to go and have rummage and bag a few bargains, great fun 😀 

Community Member
(@sonia)

@jeanne 

I dare to say you will not see a yard, garage or estate sale in Portugal, unfortunately the Portuguese are not much into buying second hand, although this has been changing in recent years, the only second hand market that thrives is the one for vehicles.

I think people associate buying second hand items with poverty and lack of money, so most people prefer to buy new cheap furniture.

Until the crisis of 2008/2009 the only shops selling used furniture where antiquities stores, but it where usually nice antique pieces, or the charity shops that sell the things that people donate. When the crisis it people needed money, and many people lost their houses so they needed to sell their houses content, this created an opportunity and started to open second hand shops, since then many have closed but there are still some around the country, the same with consignment stores for clothes.

The younger generations are most receptive to buy used items, mostly using internet web sites like ebay, olx and custojusto, coisas, this ones are the most used to sell online and where you can find almost anything.

Also if you search these sites you probably will see people asking almost the same amount for an used item as if it was new, so this does not create an incentive to buy used.

I’ve been selling online since 2008, I prefer to sell things that I no longer use than store them, I’ve been known to buy a lot of kitchen gadgets that I then regret buying. Also by selling my paper books I’m able to pay the subscriptions for ebooks and audiobooks.

Community Member
(@martin)

to mention that i have never lived in a country where when people (ie expats) sell their place, they walk out and leave everything and I mean everything.

I have cleared out several times stuff that was just left as it cost too much to ship back

eg one example of a couple moving back to Belgium...I went around at 6 pm to say goodbye and then by 10 pm, I had brought back 9 car loads of stuff  they were going to dump or leave to their greedy landlord - who was getting a new wood burner and aircon units they had installed and to be left for him gratis

if you want to leave stuff - please contact one of the animal charities who can sell the stuff and at least the proceeds will go to a good cause

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

You know how in the UK there is a drop in the market for 'brown' furniture, the sort of Victorian wooden cupboards and things. Anyone know if that is so in Portugal too? My seller is trying to sell some nice antique furniture but I fear it may have little value if brown furniture (hers is kind of regency style) is out of fashion?

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal