Starting Point - Retiring to Portugal from USA – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Starting Point - Retiring to Portugal from USA

Ara
Community Member
Topic starter
(@ara)

I'm sure this has been asked zillions of times, so hopefully somebody can just reply with a link.

I am planning to retire to Portugal from the US in about 3-5 years. I already speak portuguese (with a Brazilian accent) and have some idea of where I would like to live (Lisbon, Sintra, Coimbra, Porto). I also have a general idea of the various available visas, and my guess is that the Golden Visa is probably the most appropriate for my situation.

What I am having a hard time is figuring out where to start. For example, to get the Golden Visa, you need to invest 500,000 euros into property--fair enough, but that means you need to find the property, but then you cannot buy it unless you have a visa. It seems there must be reputable companies that help aspiring expats with the process and possibly also mediate the purchase of property. Or possibly a timeshare company that allows you to meet the yearly residency requirement until you are ready to move full time? 

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

1 Reply

Admin
(@sally-in-lisbon)
Eminent Member

Hi Ara,

We have an event coming up this Thursday about the Golden Visa. There are some changes coming soon will affect which properties qualify. 

Dr Daniel Reis is an expert in the field and will be giving us the latest information as well as taking questions.

If you would like more information or to RSVP here is the link https://expatsportugal.com/event/16092021/

If you are unable to attend, the webinar will later be uploaded on our YouTube Channel. There you will also find a previous webinar about the Golden Visa

Best,
Sally from the Expats Portugal team.

• Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online