Expats Portugal Forum

UK Pensions — confl...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

UK Pensions — conflicting advice —help needed!

6 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
(@debnjon)

Hi, 

I'm just wondering whether anyone can help, please?

Are there any UK retirees receiving a UK government pension —eg ex police, teachers, forces, civil servants etc?

We are reading the tax arrangement with the Portuguese government is that you pay tax in the UK, and not in Portugal on UK government pensions.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience of this?

5 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

You have read the treaty correctly, UK Government service pensions (not state pension) are taxed in the UK but you do still have to submit a PT tax return every year.

A friend of mine on an army pension didn't and got fined €600 for failing to do so. 

4 Replies
(@debnjon)

@old-bloke that's really helpful, thank you. The teacher pension (which is the one that is relevant to me) on further reading, still feels a bit ambiguous —maybe I'm overthinking it! I'm hoping there maybe some ex-teachers on here I could check in with.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Posted by: @debnjon

@old-bloke that's really helpful, thank you. The teacher pension (which is the one that is relevant to me) on further reading, still feels a bit ambiguous —maybe I'm overthinking it! I'm hoping there maybe some ex-teachers on here I could check in with.

Would this help to clarify that matter for you?

INTM343040 - DT claims and applications - Types of income: Pensions and Annuities Government or Non-Government

(@debnjon)

@x-camone that's brilliant —thank you so much.

(@debnjon)

@x-camone that's amazingly helpful, thank you so much.

EI Banner

Share: