UK to Lisbon moving advice please :-) – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx
  • Martinhall banner

UK to Lisbon moving advice please 🙂

Sean
Community Member
Topic starter
(@seansmurf)

Hi there, 

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it. I hope you are keeping well and sane during this unusual time. 

My wife and I are moving to the Lisbon area in the summer, hopefully, and wanted to pick your brains about leaving the UK. 

Is there anything we need to do in the UK before we leave like letting HMRC or anyone else know that we are leaving? 

My wife is a freelance translator with her own business so is there anything she needs to do specifically or differently?

If anyone has any tips or advice then they would be gratefully received! 

Hopefully hear from you soon. 

Take care, 

Sean 

6 Replies

Admin
(@lincolnbaggie)
Trusted Member

Hi Sean, welcome along.

If you are self-employed and leave the UK permanently you tell HMRC through your annual self assessment tax return. This will include the residency form (SA109) probably claiming split year status and the date you close your business down in the UK. You will file your business profits until the date you leave, claiming any overlap relief as appropriate. Probably best to speak to an accountant. If you are carrying on the work in Portugal you will inform Financas in Portugal of your activity and file returns here instead as a new business. Definitely get an accountant for that and look at the NHR status.

If you are employed full time in a company you will send HMRC form P85 plus bits of your P45 from your employer.

If you don't work, just tell HMRC your new address abroad once you've moved. Don't forget to tell your pension provider as well if you have one.

1 Reply
 Sean
Community Member
(@seansmurf)

@lincolnbaggie

Hi Neil,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I really appreciate it. You have been incredibly helpful. This is all very new to us and so are quite worried about forgetting to do something, especially where the HMRC are concerned. I am assuming that you are from the UK to and so have gone through this process. 

Thanks again Neil and I hope you are coping well. I hear restrictions are to be relaxed so I hope it's not long before a more enjoyable normality returns for you. 

Sean

Admin
(@lincolnbaggie)
Trusted Member

Hi Sean

Yes, I've done the same thing and was self-employed in the UK before I moved to Portugal permanently. If you need any advice from HMRC it's worth giving them a ring direct; their helpline is actually very good and the people very friendly.

Yes, restrictions are being eased here from tomorrow, but personally I'm going to keep myself out of the way as much as possible until I see what happens over the next few weeks...

Sean
Community Member
Topic starter
(@seansmurf)

That's really helpful Neil, thanks. I will certainly consider calling HMRC now. 

I think being cautious is very sensible. I hope it's not too long before you can step outside and relax. 

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi Sean

My answer is simple because it's the way i did it. I just retired and gave my business away to one of my sons and he took over . Filled my huge van and equally big trailer and set of for my new home. Being a member of this Forum  was a big help in my move. Don't fly drive through France and Spain and see a little of the Journey to a new life.

Just move and sort things out later after you have relaxed with a glass of something chilled.

Peter

1 Reply
 Sean
Community Member
(@seansmurf)

@peterfc

Hi Peter,

Thanks for giving me your insight. We would love to be able to take our time and drive down but the reality is we haven't got the time. Especially with the situation as it is now. I love a road trip! I bet you had a fantastic adventure! I will certainly make sure of something chilled when we arrive though!

I hope you are keeping well.

Sean

• Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online