What Like for Singles Late 50's/60's? – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

What Like for Singles Late 50's/60's?

8 Posts
6 Users
12 Likes
 Les
Community Member
Topic starter
(@les)

Hi, I am considering moving to Portugal (in process of divorcing) and may come explore for two weeks in Nov. as well.  I have never been before, but have a cousin who will likely retire there starting April.  Keep hearing from so many that Portugal (Lisbon, Cascais, Porto) is a wonderful place to retire with a large, welcoming expat community.  How is it for older singles though? 

Thanks!

Leslie

7 Replies

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Welcome Leslie!  I just arrived in Porto on June 4, i'm a single 57yr old guy and am enjoying the heck out of life, but Portugal specifically.  There are many single women who have made the move, so get a scouting trip planned and come check it out!  Obviously it's not all rainbows and unicorns, but I'm not planning on moving back to the states.

3 Replies
 Les
Community Member
(@les)

@misticjeff 

Hi!  Thanks so much for letting me know!  Where did you settle?  Any tips for the scouting trip, top places, when and about how many weeks?  You are inspiring me! 

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@les

Hi Leslie, Jeff is in Porto and we are in Lisbon so we have you covered for any information on those areas. We have also traveled around Portugal a bit. Where in the US are you at and do you like it there? We thought we wanted to live in the Algarve but have been in Lisbon for 9 months now with no immediate plans to leave. 

Lisbon has everything we need, and Porto is a close second for us. We moved here without ever visiting. We have spent several weeks traveling the country once we moved here. We would recommend at least two weeks to tour.

We had dinner with a friend last night and the topic of where to live came up. We all had seen so many YouTube videos but they do not even come close to showing the areas in detail.

We find most people cover the parishes and don't concentrate on the barrios. The barrios vary greatly.

Kind regards,

Trevor & Shannon

Les
Community Member
(@les)

@jonesdn2020 

Dear Trevor and Shannon,

Thank you so much for the info, recommendation and inspiration!   I was living in the SF area, but am now renting with my son in Ann Arbor through the end of Dec.  I am considering several areas (CT/Boston, DC/VA/MD, LA, FL) to relocate to depending on cost of living, having friends/family nearby, local culture, weather, and percentage of single seniors (50's-60's) in area.  Still negotiating settlement, so don't know my finances yet.  Also, have a small pup (under 10 lbs).  My son offered to watch her while I explore places, including UK and Portugal.  

Kind regards,

Leslie

VIP Member
(@antonio_f)
1 Reply
Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Hi Leslie -

I just returned from a 5-month stay in Portugal. I don’t foresee any issues for you - the Portuguese are warm, friendly, and welcoming. 

As for a scouting trip, I suggest spending time in Lisboa, Porto, and south of Lisbon (The Algarve or Alentejo). 

You’ll want to consider your preferences for weather. Porto tends to be damp an cold/rainy in the winter. The Algarve tends to be white hot and dry in the summer. I’m planning a move to Madeira in about 12 months. 

Also, post questions to the forum - you’ll get lots of good of good advice. 

Community Member
(@luise)

I second what @misticjeff said. There's lots of us out here. You will be fine 🙂 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Guaranteed entry to our Migration Tuesdays Visa & Immigration Show
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon