Working on it – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

Working on it  

RSS

(@nettyb)
Active Member Community Member
30/05/2020 9:34 am  

Hi All, I am currently in the UK, but working towards becoming a retired ExPat in Portugal.  Was planning to be over by now, but C19 has put a stop to that and drastically slowed everything down on this side too.  Now panicking about incurring fines and taxes when getting my car over!  Can't wait for these feelings of panic to be over and I'm sitting in my garden near Port dos Mos.

Regards

NettyB

(@hartmill)
Estimable Member VIP Member
30/05/2020 10:41 am  

As long as you start the process for importing your car quickly after you arrive, you shouldn´t have any problems.

NettyB liked
ReplyQuote
(@nettyb)
30/05/2020 11:20 am  

gained residency last Oct, but have only been able to get back once to clear land.  Worried if we are not in by Oct we will incur huge import tax.  

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
30/05/2020 8:03 pm  

@nettyb I think that you have to start the process within 12 months of moving here - if you want to claim advantage of tax free importation. It was 6 months but this was revised.

NettyB liked
ReplyQuote
(@peterfc)
Famed Member VIP Member
30/05/2020 11:38 pm  

Hi Nettyb

Congratulations in picking Portugal to retire to.

The rules to register your car have been made a little easier you only have to have owned your car now for 6 months not 12.

If you use an agent and pay 500€ you do all the work and the agent fills 2/3 forms in. Then he keeps you waiting while he gets more cars to Matriculate no good going with one so he will go with a few.

You take the car for est.

You have to arrange with the car manufacturer for a Certificate of Conformity. You should get one in English and one in Portuguese.

You go to the Consul and swear out a Statuary declaration that you are no longer a resident of the UK.

Now you have done most of the work you give everything to the agent and about 500€ and wait till get gets the legal done.

Or you can do it yourself now don't be scared it easy because i got my car make legal in a day. i DID it all by myself there are charges and fees to pay .

Ok if you don't speak the language The lady at the customs was very helpful and spoke English. Or you could use A translator on your Tablet or phone.

I will come back with a link to my Blog and how to make your car legal.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@peterfc)
Famed Member VIP Member
31/05/2020 10:58 am  

HI

Below is a link to how i Matriculated my car from going to thee Customs to it being Legal.

Peter

https://petersvaleboahouse.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-get-car-made-legal-in.html

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
31/05/2020 1:27 pm  

If you have not actually moved to Portugal, bring utility bills, council tax, etc to prove that you are still not actually resident here. 

NettyB liked
ReplyQuote
(@nettyb)
31/05/2020 8:40 pm  

@peterfc many thanks for this information.  How much can be done from the UK?  The address on our fiscal no. is our UK address.  Will this cause a problem when trying to register on the Finance Portal?

ReplyQuote
(@peterfc)
Famed Member VIP Member
01/06/2020 11:38 pm  

Hi NettyB

To start the Matriculation process You need 2/3 Modelo forms forms from The Customs. They will tell you that you need to get from the consul your Statuary Declaration and once you have that they will sell your the forms the cost about 2€.

You could go to the Consul or whatever it's called in the UK or phone the embassy and explaining what you are trying to do.

Maybe a call to the Portuguese embassy and ask if you can start the Matriculation process before you move.

Don't forget to get your Certificate of Conformity in both English and Portuguese

Good luck

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@nettyb)
01/06/2020 11:56 pm  

Many thanks Peter, the only way to get this sorted is to jump in and start making waves, I'm sure I will get to the other side of this.

with regards

NettyB

ReplyQuote

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online