Adult, autistic child -- can she immigrate with us? – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Adult, autistic chi...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Adult, autistic child -- can she immigrate with us?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@sarmay)

We are seriously planning to move to Portugal in approximately 5 years, when our youngest finishes high school. Our oldest will be an adult, but is high-functioning autistic. We are planning on immigrating under a D7 visa, but we're wondering two things about our daughter: 1) are there services available for autistic adults in Portugal, and 2) would we be able to include her on the visa, or apply for family reunification even though she will be an adult?

4 Replies

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

there is very little help  - lots of words yes - but if you have a problem sadly no

eg rare sight to see anyone in a wheel chair for example, my late mother in law came out to visit in a wheelchair, cars parked on pavements, broken stones, holes - a nightmare .  I had in the end become to a "road vehicle" and push her along road with cars driving behind me.

But of course the govt will say they have disabled access like at portimao post office with its wheel chair lift. Only problem is that no wheelchair can get to it as the pavements are 18 inches wide and 8 inches high with cars right up to wall.

most of those who are disabled end up staying at home

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@sarmay)

@martin That is discouraging, indeed. She is not wheelchair bound, thank goodness, but has developmental limitations (can't ride a bike, struggles to take care of herself, that type of thing). I haven't been able to find any information on whether she could immigrate with us under a family reunion visa since she will be an adult, but is dependent on us. 

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@sarmay 

Provision for adult children to qualify for family reunification through incapacity is mentioned on the border agency's website.

However, the way the family reunification visa is written up on the official sites says that it applies when one of the family has already established residence (and been issued a residence permit) in Portugal. That person then makes the initial approach to the border agency in Portugal on behalf of the other family member(s), which is followed up at the consulate in the country of residence of the other(s).

That wouldn't appear to give any scope for applying in advance or arriving together and getting residence as a family unit.

That is my extremely amateur personal opinion of the way things read. I have no knowledge of how it works in practice or whether there might be scope for flexibility under some circumstances.

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)
Trusted Member

@sarmay

I recommend you contact Reis and Pellicano, the attorneys listed in the business directory at the top of this page. They are international immigration attorneys in Lisbon and Porto and may also have an office in other places.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online