Advice re fiscal representation with NIF when cannot move – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Advice re fiscal re...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Advice re fiscal representation with NIF when cannot move

Community Member
Topic starter
(@helly)

Hi all,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me.  I had started the application process for the D7, hoping to move to Portugal early next year but due to a couple of family health problems and other issues, I have decided that I cannot up and leave the country at this point in time.

However, I had got far enough as to get my NIF (using a lawyer in Portugal) and opening the bank account.

The bank account I can close if I visit their office in London so that is ok but with the NIF, I am being told that I have to keep it and so have to keep a fiscal representative.  Up until now I have had no financial (or tax) dealings in or with Portugal and if I don't end up ever moving then I never will... Surely I don't have to keep a fiscal representative (which comes at a cost) for life in that situation?

I would appreciate it if anyone has knowledge or advice on this.

I should also say that I do have Irish heritage so I am applying for my Irish citizenship (and ultimately EU passport again) which I hope to get in the next 12-18 months... I don't know if this will make a difference to the NIF issue either?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @helly

I should also say that I do have Irish heritage so I am applying for my Irish citizenship (and ultimately EU passport again) which I hope to get in the next 12-18 months... I don't know if this will make a difference to the NIF issue either?

It would only make a difference if you moved to Ireland (irrespective of your citizenship) as the requirement for a fiscal rep applies to anyone of whatever nationality who doesn't reside at an address in an EU member state.

It does seem ludicrous that you have to have a fiscal rep despite not having any tax liability which is why I don't think you will need one due to the wording of Article 19.6 in that without any tax liabilities in Portugal how can you be a taxable person?

Os sujeitos passivos residentes no estrangeiro, bem como os que, embora residentes no território nacional, se ausentem deste por período superior a seis meses, bem como as pessoas colectivas e outras entidades legalmente equiparadas que cessem a actividade, devem, para efeitos tributários, designar um representante com residência em território nacional.

That's just my opinion, you may want to ask a tax lawyer their interpretation of 19.6 (don't ask anyone who offers fiscal rep services as they could possibly give a biased answer).

1 Reply
Community Member
(@helly)

@old-bloke thank you very much for this.  That’s a really interesting point about my not being a ‘taxable person’ if I have no tax liabilities and I’ll follow up on this.

Thank you again!

Community Member
(@abestercrowley)

It doesn't make any sense to keep your fiscal representative if you don't need it.

You should be able to change or cancel your FR online, by contacting Portal das Finanças (Tax and Customs Authority website)

• EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online