American Citizens Moving to Portugal – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
American Citizens M...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

American Citizens Moving to Portugal  

RSS

(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
06/07/2020 11:53 am  

As a follow up to Independence Day, today 6th July we featured one of our American members, @peggyl on Good Morning Portugal.

Peggy recently moved here from Kentucky and gave an insightful, interesting and humorous overview of her experience in obtaining a visa, residency and general life in Portugal.

You can view the show via this link:

Peggy has graciously offered to help any fellow Americans with advice and information, so please feel free to ask questions by replying to this post.

Great job Peggy, well done and thank you.

(@peggyl)
Trusted Member Community Member
06/07/2020 12:55 pm  

Thank You Gerry 😀 😎 If I can help another pern's road to be easier, I am willing to try my best.

I have more articles to send to "Expats Portugal" that are specific for Americans thinking of moving here or already here so if anyone falls into that category, keep a watch on this site. 

ReplyQuote
 RJJ
(@rjj)
Active Member Community Member
20/07/2020 8:22 pm  

Hello Peggy. This is great information to share. I had a question about Permanent residency in Portugal. Is there such a thing? Or do I have to continue applying for the 5 year residency card repeatedly? I have heard rumor from SEF that there is the option of a 10 year, but can only be applied for after two consecutive 5 year cards completion (10 years).
Whenever I do actually get a hold of SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) SEF website Link ) via the phone, I always get conflicting information or get ping ponged to different districts with no resolve.

Do you have any clarity on the process involved? 

Thank you,

Ryan.

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
20/07/2020 11:35 pm  

@RJJ Hi Ryan, Nice to meet you. Yes, there is such a thing as permanent residency. You do not have to become a citizen or a dual citizen. I am on my 2-year card at the moment. Then will get my 5-year card. Sounds a bit like Girl scouts and winning badges. I have also heard that a 10-year card may be introduced. I'm not for certain. You can go to the SEF site and post questions there. Don't be surprised if you don't get an answer the first time you post the question. Might have to post it 2-3 times. I think if the person answering emails that day doesn't know the answer, they just skip it. I see that you have had troubles here so maybe I'll go to the site and since I have a residency number, I can sign in. Let me make sure I have your questions correct. You want to know if you can stay a permanent resident and not get your dual citizenship, and you want to know if there is a 10-year card in the future, correct?

Peggy

ReplyQuote
 RJJ
(@rjj)
Active Member Community Member
21/07/2020 12:43 am  

Hello again, Nice to meet you also.

More or less. I moved here to get Married. I ended up getting married in the US, then getting everything registered here. At the moment I am on the tail end of my first 5 year card. After that they told me I would have to keep applying every 5 years. But that just sounds silly. A friend of mine said that there was a 10 Year card which makes things a little easier. But its been pulling teeth to get them to understand what I need. 
Oh that is very kind of you, but not necessary. I will contact them in the coming weeks. I just wanted to know if others could verify that there was such a thing as the 10 year card before I try and ask them about it again.

Ty.
Ryan. 

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
21/07/2020 1:25 am  

Ryan,

I am interested to know the answer. please let me know what you find out

Peggy

ReplyQuote

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online