Applying for D7 visa from the UK (London) – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Applying for D7 vis...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Applying for D7 visa from the UK (London)

Community Member
Topic starter
(@harrymgd)

Hi all,

I'm hoping to move to Portugal on a D7 visa later this year, and have booked an appointment with VFS Global in London for September.

My understanding is that the process is as follows: 1) you obtain a D7 visa in your home country, which you then 2) convert into a D7 residency permit after arrival in Portugal.

My question is, since UK citizens can enter Portugal visa-free for 90 days, do I even need to apply for the D7 visa, or can I just travel to Portugal and then apply straight for the D7 residency permit?

And if I do need to get the D7 visa first, do I need to provide proof of accommodation for those four months? And if so, is a letter from a friend saying they will host me enough?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum but I couldn't see it directly answered!

Thanks so much in advance!:)

Harry

4 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Hi and welcome to the forum from me.

I can only offer a confident response on the first of those questions. Yes, you will need to obtain an initial visa in your country of residence in order to be able to request a residence permit once here.

Brexit has put paid to the days of carefree arrival, settling in and sorting the formalities afterwards as far as UK citizens are concerned. They are now in the same boat as all other non EU citizens when it comes to residency, even if they have it slightly better than some as tourists, in that they benefit from being on the visa waiver list of countries. But you can't come in and alter your status afterwards any more, except in specific defined circumstances which don't apply in your case.

As far as the 2nd question is concerned, for some types of visa it is explicitly stated in the law that the adequate accommodation and means of subsistence requirements can be waived provided they are guaranteed by a resident host but how one goes about providing evidence of that assurance and whether the accommodation part could apply to a D7 application, I'm not clear on. From a personal viewpoint, I don't see any particular reason why not but I don't have a consular official's outlook.

What would be your intention on that front - stay with the friend for long enough to seek out longer term accommodation of your own before applying for the residence permit itself, or make it a longer term arrangement including for obtaining the residence permit?

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

Update on that 2nd question.

A related discussion about what's acceptable in terms of rental agreements has been taking place on a thread titled "D7 visa requirements becoming more stringent". There's a video embedded in this post which may be of interest - from about 4'55" onwards, with sponsorship letters also discussed by an immigration consultant.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@harrymgd)

Thanks so much for your replies, they're very helpful.

My main worry, which I'm sure many applying for the D7 share, is the prospect of having to secure and pay for a long period of accommodation in advance even of the interview in London without seeing it first - running the risk of losing the money if my visa is refused.

As I understand it from your reply and the video you linked to, if a friend in Portugal can write me a letter saying they'll host me for the four month period of the D7 visa, that should suffice to get me the initial visa. Then, once I arrive in Portugal I can then secure a rental agreement in time for my interview at SEF. Does that sound about right?

Also, if anyone reading this has any info on how long it takes to get the D7 visa from London after the appointment with VFS Global, that'd be great!

Thanks again for your help 🙂

Harry

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member
Posted by: @harrymgd

As I understand it from your reply and the video you linked to, if a friend in Portugal can write me a letter saying they'll host me for the four month period of the D7 visa, that should suffice to get me the initial visa. Then, once I arrive in Portugal I can then secure a rental agreement in time for my interview at SEF. Does that sound about right?

I completely understand your concerns about the renting unseen etc and the temporary arrangement to give you time to set up something here in time for the SEF interview does seem the ideal solution. An enviable position to be in if it works, I'd say. However...

I'm afraid I'm no wiser than I was about the specific form of evidence you must supply if you're being accommodated in this manner, so whether a simple letter from a friend will suffice or whether it might have to be something more formal, I really don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say probably the latter. If I come across anything else on the subject, I'll let you know.

Also, Gilda did say on that video that different consulates apply different criteria and, with specific reference to such arrangements, that they aren't acceptable to all. She didn't go into any further detail though, other than to say that her consultancy can get information from the individual consulates as to what their specific requirements are.

So unless someone on here has experience with the London consulate on exactly that matter and can shed some light on it, or you can wring the info out of the consulate yourself, you would have to either wing it and hope for the best or (loth though I am to suggest such a thing on an internet forum such as this, where we're all here to help each other for nothing) pay to engage the services of a professional. I guess they won't give away all their trade secrets for free and it might be money well spent if it avoids you chucking money down the drain on a wasted application.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online