C1 licence – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

C1 licence

Mart
Community Member
Topic starter
(@mart)

Hello there, new to the site and first time posting. I am starting the process of applying for residency to Portugal so I can stay in Portugal and visit Spain without time restrictions.

I have a 5500kg motorhome and I need to apply for the extended C1 test.  I passed in the 1970's so I have the original C1 that came with the car licence but as I understand I need more.  Has anyone on here taken that extra test in the UK and was there a theory test to take?

Any advice would be great.  Thank you.

2 Replies
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @mart

Hello there, new to the site and first time posting. I am starting the process of applying for residency to Portugal so I can stay in Portugal and visit Spain without time restrictions.

Even as a resident of Portugal you would still be subject the the Schengen 90 in 180 rule everywhere else in the Schengen area, so you would still be subject to time restrictions when visiting Spain.

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

Pre-Brexit the rule was that a pre 1970 UK licence car licence (Cat B) with automatic C1,C1E, BE etc. would be valid in Portugal for visits.

However once you become resident and must exchange it for a PT licence all the "free " licences that you have (i.e ones that you have not taken a specific test for) are lost usually leaving you with just categories B and B1.

If you have actually taken a C1 test in the UK, then this should be transferable.

I do not think that this has changed post-Brexit.

It works in both directions, a Portuguese driver would lose his extra categories on exchanging his licence for a UK one.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online