Canada to Portugal – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Canada to Portugal

Community Member
Topic starter
(@carlito0530)

Hello

We are from Canada looking to move to Portugal with our 7 and 8 year old.  I currently hold a Portuguese citizen card as I was born there and Canadian citizenship.  I was wondering because I hold that card and my family will be accompanying me to Portugal will they have access to healthcare while we process their citizenship?  How is the job market for English speaking ppl? Ease of finding schooling for our children?

6 Replies
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member
Posted by: @carlito0530

I currently hold a Portuguese citizen card as I was born there and Canadian citizenship.  I was wondering because I hold that card and my family will be accompanying me to Portugal will they have access to healthcare while we process their citizenship?

You don't need citizenship to have the right to enrol in the public health system in Portugal - it's a right based on residency, which is almost certainly a whole lot quicker to establish.

I'm not sure exactly which documents you'll need in order for your family to enter and remain in Portugal or precisely at what point they're considered resident but the general principle with regard to immigration via family reunion is that it should be no more difficult for non-EU family of Portuguese nationals than for non-EU family of citizens of other EU member states, the procedure for which is quite easy to find online. I'm having trouble finding anything relating specifically to family of PT nationals, though.

Maybe one to ask the embassy in Canada?

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

Not sure about healthcare. You should be aware that jobs here are few and far between, particularly if you don´t speak Portuguese.

3 Replies
Community Member
(@carlito0530)

@hartmill i speak Portuguese

Community Member
(@carlito0530)

i speak Portuguese as well.  seems to be a lot of customer service jobs on indeed.  

VIP Member
(@tartntiny)

Trusted Member

@carlito0530  I had a student last summer who worked at one of the call centres in Lisbon.  Based on what she said be wary.  But maybe they aren't all bad though?  If you speak Portuguese I would think you are better off looking for a different type of job. 

When are you planning on moving here?   Just curious 😁

I am Canadian as well but not of Portuguese descent so I'm getting my citizenship the long way.  Just waiting for some mysterious special birth register paper from Canada so I can deal with the criminial record check and submit my application.  Actually, a tip for you, make sure your spouse brings a current criminal record check.  My aunt married a Portuguese and is now applying for citizenship and getting the criminal record check done from here and it is expensive.  And x-camone is right, definitely contact the nearest Portuguese Embassy or Consulate to your province.  They should help you with the entire process.  

Good Luck!

Tania

Admin
(@astridff)

You may be interested in partaking in a webinar we have coming up on Thursday event about how to help kids transition into a new country and new school. 

https://expatsportugal.com/event/portugal-calling-new-country-new-school/

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online