D7 visa amount of time in Portugal – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
D7 visa amount of t...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

EI Banner

D7 visa amount of time in Portugal

Community Member
Topic starter
(@corocky)

My wife and I considering to retire in Portugal from the US and working to a permanent visa and citizenship after 5 years.  We both will have government pensions, but my wife's retirement will be able to start 3 years before me. Her pension will be enough to cover both of us with the current D7 income requirements.  We wanted to start the D7 visa process as soon as she retired, but since I will still be working we will only be able to spend 2-3 months a year there together until I retire.  I have heard several different requirements as too how much time you need to stay in country during a year from just a couple of weeks to 6 months.  Does anyone know the requirements or a similar experience?

Thanks

2 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Article 70.2 of the relevant law (23/2007) is probably what you're looking for.

Article 70

Visa cancellation

2 - Residence and temporary stay visas may also be canceled when the respective holder, without reasonable reasons, is absent from the country for a period of 60 days, during the validity of the visa.

If your absence from Portugal for more than 60 days is deemed to be reasonable by SEF, you also need to be aware of Article 85.2 and 85.3.

Article 85

Cancellation of residence permit

2 - Without prejudice to the application of special provisions, the residence permit may also be canceled when the person concerned, without reasonable reasons, is absent from the country:

a) Being the holder of a temporary residence permit, six consecutive months or eight interpolated months, during the total period of validity of the authorization;

b) Being the holder of a permanent residence permit, 24 consecutive months or, in a period of three years, 30 interpolated months.

3 - Absence beyond the limits provided for in the preceding paragraph must be justified by request submitted to SEF before the resident leaves national territory or, in exceptional cases, after leaving. 

Community Member
Topic starter
(@corocky)

Thank you for the reply.  That might put a delay on our schedule for the visas, but maybe it will give us more time to find a place where we might want buy a house or be more permanent.

Thanks again, I've been loving the forum and the youtube channel!

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online