D7 Visa time required for living in country – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
D7 Visa time requir...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

D7 Visa time required for living in country

Community Member
Topic starter
(@djkv2021)

Hi All,

Wondering if someone can help me understand the requirements about months required living in the country to use the D7 visa process. I read it's 16 months the first 2 years which is pretty high. Doesn't anyone know if this is continued residency? For instance, can you leave for the full remaining 8 months in one chunk? can you leave as many times as you want to travel etc.? I know with the Golden Visa the time in the country is very low but obviously, the investment is high. Is there a way to make the D7 Visa process work for you if you want to travel and move around more those first 2 years while maintaining a bank account and apartment in Portugal?

8 Replies

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Reputable Member

There was a useful discussion of this same issue in a recent Forum thread.  Search for  '

D7 residency reqs - how strict for EU travel'

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

I can’t get that link to work for some reason but I have been looking into it and with a D7 it's 6 months (183 days) in a row you have to be resident or 8 months if you leave during that year, which you can only do twice. Then repeat for year two, another 6 or 8 months living there the following year and so on I think until you get permanent residency.

I guess it’s fair enough, it is to make sure people are actually resident.

6 Replies
Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@aspidistra   I cannot get the link to paste in properly, but the 6 or 8 months is not per year - it is apparently for the term of your then-current permit, which may be 2 or 3 years.   This is what @old-bloke says in that string: 

"..., it's not you have to be in Portugal for 8 months every year, it's you can't be ABSENT from Portugal for 6 continuous or 8 interpolated months DURING THE VALIDITY of a temporary resident's permit.

Whilst that arrives at the same result as you have described above for the initial 2 year temporary permit, it doesn't for the subsequent 3 year temporary permit. An important distinction if you don't want to risk your permit being cancelled.

Sem prejuízo da aplicação de disposições especiais, a autorização de residência pode igualmente ser cancelada quando o interessado, sem razões atendíveis, se ausente do País:
a) Sendo titular de uma autorização de residência temporária, seis meses consecutivos ou oito meses interpolados, no período total de validade da autorização;
b) Sendo titular de uma autorização de residência permanente, 24 meses seguidos ou, num período de três anos, 30 meses interpolados."

As indicated, I cannot get the link to paste, but you will find the entire string if you jump back a few pages in the Forum. 

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@jeanne thanks. It does feel a bit confusing.🤪

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@aspidistra 
@djkv2021

A D7 visa is only valid for 4 months and allows 2 entries to PT to allow you to apply for a resident's permit. The first permit will be issued for 2 years and subsequently renewed for 3 years provided the conditions of residency are maintained.

A resident's permit allows the holder to leave and re-enter as many times as they like (not just twice) provided they are not absent for a continuous period exceeding 6 months, or a cumulative absence (lots of short absences) of more than 8 months during the validity of each permit. So 8 months total absence during the first 2 year permit and 8 months during the subsequent 3 year permit.

After 5 years when a permanent resident's permit is obtained the permitted absence increases to 2 years continuous, or 30 months cumulative in a 3 year period.

Sem prejuízo da aplicação de disposições especiais, a autorização de residência pode igualmente ser cancelada quando o interessado, sem razões atendíveis, se ausente do País:
a) Sendo titular de uma autorização de residência temporária, seis meses consecutivos ou oito meses interpolados, no período total de validade da autorização;
b) Sendo titular de uma autorização de residência permanente, 24 meses seguidos ou, num período de três anos, 30 meses interpolados.

Community Member
(@djkv2021)

@old-bloke 

OK thank! this is very helpful. Sounds like I was collapsing the two parts of the process. 

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@old-bloke  Can this be made a sticky topic?  Your explanation is very clear and this question comes up regularly.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@jeanne 

I expect there is a way the forum admins could do it but once done it would need someone to ensure it remains accurate.

Out of date or incorrect information helps no-one. A case in point being the "Americans driving in Portugal" article on this site. People who follow some of what is written in that article are at risk of being fined and losing their driving licence.

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

ONLY €47 PER YEAR

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks. But hurry, price increases on 1 January 2022. Beat the clock and join today!

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online