Data and Phone Plans – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Data and Phone Plan...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Data and Phone Plans

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@gmgraves)

Hi all,

Is there a consensus as to the best way to handle data and phone upon arrival in Portugal?  I have read of some using Google Voice to keep their American phone number.  Has anyone had experience with VOIP in Portugal?  Is it reliable?

21 Replies

Premium Member
(@chris_in_california)
Trusted Member

Listening in...I need to solve this one too. Definitely need the US phone number for accessing accounts with 2-factor authentication. 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @gmgraves

Has anyone had experience with VOIP in Portugal?  Is it reliable?

Skype works fine. Internet reliability is the same as other western countries, usually problem free but can sometimes suffer the odd hic-cup.
Another alternative is to buy a cheap mobile and US PAYG sim for when you need a US number (I did this for a few years with a UK number when I first moved here, I just needed to send one text or make one call every 6 months to keep the sim active). 

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

We have had a Google voice number since the service started over a decade ago.  We just switched all our accounts to that number. Some accounts had issues since it is not really a cell number.  In those cases we used Authly with the Google voice number for 2 factor.

We terminated our ATT cell plan once we signed up for Vodafone.  We have two cells with Vodafone plus Fiber Internet and TV.  We are really happy with all of our Vodafone services.   

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@jonesdn2020   hi.  I've looked at the Authy webpage but still not clear to me how it works as regards receiving 2 factor codes.  How does Authy work in conjunction with Google voice?  Can I link Authy to my (usa) Verizon number while I'm in Portugal? Thx.

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@jeanne I did not try authy with our US ATT numbers since we cancelled them. I imagine they work the same as our google voice since it is a US number. Authy is linked to any number so it just gets the sms and converts it to 2 factor for whatever web site allows authy.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@gmgraves)

Thanks for the info!

Did you guys keep a bank account in your country of origin?  We will need to keep an account open in the US for a few items.  Did you have any difficulties with the two factor from US banks or credit cards?

My understanding of using Google Voice is that you can port your new GV number over to your existing cell number, thus keeping your existing number.  It seems the issue comes with the fact that most banks use SMS texts for two factor and Google Voice requires you text over their app.  Does Authy accept two factor from US banks?

2 Replies
Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@gmgraves Sorry for the delay but your post was while we were back in the states picking up our visas. Yes, we have US bank accounts and credit cards. No issues using google voice except one credit card but we tied the google voice number to authy and got around it.  Authy is tied to any number you give it that it can send a sms for confirmation.

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@gmgraves Just thought I would mention that you do need a VPN for your computer and mobile devices. We connect back to Las Vegas servers just out of habit but we can use any in the US. We use Surfshark.

Page 1 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online