Declaring new activity in Financas Portal - hitting a wall – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Declaring new activ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Declaring new activity in Financas Portal - hitting a wall

Page 1 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@enlguy)

I am being told to register my activity (I am a non-EU national registering a self-employed activity which is the basis for the application for residency I will submit), I have to have a VAT representative registered.  I HAVE a fiscal representative from when I got my NIF, so Financas has this on record.  My business is not liable for VAT.  So I have no clue what to do.  I've called the Financas number, but of course all menus are in Portuguese, and getting through what I can with what I know, it is an endless tree I finally gave up on after getting four menus deep when it wouldn't accept my NIF.  

So, any idea on how to go about this so I can get my activity registered?  What have others done that have started a new activity as a self-employed non-resident?

Thank you! 

15 Replies

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

maybe this 3.5 minute spanish training film with english subtitles will help you

036 - YouTube

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

as the video will show, the function of the bureaucrats here is stop you so they can justify their existence.

the only way around it is to employ a bureaucratic person who will do it for you, or get an accountant/ lawyer on the team

Community Member
Topic starter
(@enlguy)

Didn't help...  People register activities all the time without a lawyer, maybe someone has a helpful response?

2 Replies
Community Member
(@martin)

Noble Member

@enlguy

good luck in your quest

VIP Member
(@tartntiny)

Trusted Member

@enlguy Hi, I found this link and at the bottom of the page has two pdf documents that may help.  They are in Portuguese but I checked and you can copy/paste into a translator.  The second link they give might help you out: 

https://eportugal.gov.pt/pt/servicos/abrir-atividade-nas-financas

I also had to register as non-eu but it was back in 2013 and at that time you still had to do almost everything in person so in regard to setting it up now online I have never tried.  

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Page 1 / 3

EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online