Declaring new activity in Financas Portal - hitting a wall - Page 2 – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Declaring new activ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Declaring new activity in Financas Portal - hitting a wall

Page 2 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@enlguy)

I am being told to register my activity (I am a non-EU national registering a self-employed activity which is the basis for the application for residency I will submit), I have to have a VAT representative registered.  I HAVE a fiscal representative from when I got my NIF, so Financas has this on record.  My business is not liable for VAT.  So I have no clue what to do.  I've called the Financas number, but of course all menus are in Portuguese, and getting through what I can with what I know, it is an endless tree I finally gave up on after getting four menus deep when it wouldn't accept my NIF.  

So, any idea on how to go about this so I can get my activity registered?  What have others done that have started a new activity as a self-employed non-resident?

Thank you! 

15 Replies

Community Member
Topic starter
(@enlguy)

I have done all this.  I know where to go, the matter at hand is that when I click to declare the new activity in the Financas portal, I get hit with a pop-up that says I must register a fiscal representative.  I already have one registered, and it won't let me proceed.  I have decided just to go to the Financas office today and tell them about this, let them know the phone was no help, and see if they can advise me.

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@enlguy

"I have done all this.  I know where to go"

In which case my other suggestions for a solution would be superfluous.

Anonymous

We had to register for a lot of numbers and at a lot of places for things that we will never use, including social security. Download a translation APP to your phone or iPad that allows you to point and translates instantly, pause the translation then take a screen shot of it so you can look at the options on the ticket machine. This works for menus and small sections of documents. For larger documents download a good translation APP (NOT google) I use DeepL --just the free APP not the pro version and love it. It will do an entire document up to 5,000 characters. 

This site looked like it had some info that might help you:                       https://www.lawyers-portugal.com/vat-registration-in-portugal                         I did not have to register or give any information to be able to read their site.

This one also looked helpful and it sounds like something that you can register for online: https://www.quaderno.io/resources/worldwide-tax-guides/portugal-vat-guide

And another: https://www.expatica.com/pt/finance/taxes/guide-to-taxes-in-portugal-105742/

Good Luck

@peggyL

Community Member
Topic starter
(@enlguy)

While I appreciate people trying to help, it seems like no one has actually read, or understands my post.  I was hoping to hear from people who have registered as self-employed here, as you would have had to do this, too.  I am a self-employed person, not a business, and my clients are outside the EU so I do not pay VAT.  The Financas portal is telling me I must register a VAT tax rep.  This is the issue.  It will not let me proceed with only my IRS tax rep.  No one from AT will respond to my inquiries, and when I went into the local office, all they did was give me an appointment date to ask my question that isn't until next month, which puts everything else on hold.  I've got two months left to submit my residency application, and it's crap like this which makes everything more difficult.... waiting a month to get an answer to a question about their portal....  

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)

Noble Member

@enlguy, the obligation to register (and account for IVA) is based on your forecast or actual turnover - not the location of your customers.

However, being registered may allow you to reclaim some of the IVA you pay on your relevant costs.

If you are registered as a resident in Portugal you won't need to have a representative.

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hello @enlguy

Our members are trying to help but it seems to me that you need professional advice on your particular and somewhat unique requirements. We have 5 companies listed in our Business Directory that all provide advice and services on taxation matters for individuals and businesses in Portugal. 

1 Reply
Community Member
(@martin)

Noble Member

@gerry

yes as Gerry says get your answer from an expert like a lawyer or tax advisor who can do it for you - as stated in my earlier reply it is not always possible to get a simple 123 answer to some question,

the film 036 should show you that the more papers you get to satisfy some tax/licence problem  - the more will be demanded

maybe this is not the answer you want but it is the answer that will solve your problem

Community Member
Topic starter
(@enlguy)

Just an update.  It turns out as a non-EU national, I am required to have a VAT representative whether or not I will actually have to pay it.  It must be a resident/citizen that is registered as independent or as a business owner.  

I thankfully have found someone to do this for me, but am now being told I must assign power of attorney to him, and Financas says I am responsible for doing that, they don't have a form or anything.  I would really hate to hire some BS lawyer just to write a single half-page document to confer power of attorney, so wonder if anyone has a template or found some help with this in their own experience? 

Thank you!

Page 2 / 3

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online