EU (Romania) and Canadian citizen with Canadian family – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
EU (Romania) and Ca...
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

  • Martinhall banner
  • spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

EU (Romania) and Canadian citizen with Canadian family

Posts: 3
Community Member
Topic starter
New Member
Joined: 1 year ago

Hello everybody,
I have double citizenship as above while my other family members (wife and daughters) are Canadian citizens. We intend to resettle in Portugal and it is very unclear to us what we have to do - do my family members need a visa? can we just move to Portugal and apply there for family reunification?
I checked at Who needs a visa and it says:

Third-country nationals are required to hold a long stay visa to enter and stay in Portugal for over 90 days.
The following citizens are exempt from that obligation:

  • European Union Member State citizen;
  • State party to the European Economic Area Agreement, or a third-countries with whom the EU has signed freedom of movement agreements;
  • Family members of portuguese citizens or foreign nationals included above.

The SEF website also says:
[Cartão de Residência]

What do I need to...
The Residence Card [Cartão de Residência] is the document that formalizes the right of residence in Portugal and must be applied for by third country family members of EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens that remain in Portugal for a period exceeding three months.

The right of entry, permanence and residence in Portugal covers the citizens of the European Union (EU), of the European Economic Area (EEA), Principality of Andorra and of Switzerland, as well as their respective family members. Family members of third country nationals, who reside abroad and intend to enter Portuguese Territory, must hold a valid passport and, some times, under the European Union Legislation are required to hold a visa. Consequently, before their trip they must go to a Portuguese consular post / consular mission with a view to be informed of the necessary requirements to enter national territory.

Who may apply?
Third-Country nationals who are family members of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Principality of Andorra and Switzerland, of the following categories:
1. Spouse;
2. Relatives in the descending line under 21 years old;

So I don't need a visa as a citizen of Romania, and my family members apparently also don't need a visa.
So - which way to go? Apply for residency visas for my family in Canada before departure? Move to Portugal and apply from there at SEF?... It is all really confusing.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you,

  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!


By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year


Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.



NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.




The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online