Family Reunification Residence Documents – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Family Reunificatio...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Family Reunification Residence Documents

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christopher)

I am an American citizen married to a Portuguese citizen and resident of Portugal. What documents to I need for I get different answers. For example, do I need a criminal background check from USA? 

3 Replies

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christopher)

Has anybody done a FBI background check from Portugal? Did you go to US embassy in Lisbon to get fingerprinted? Do mail or electronically send to FBI and how to get an apostle? any help on the process would help

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Eminent Member

You can check the conditions here: https://justica.gov.pt/Como-obter-nacionalidade-portuguesa/E-casado-ou-vive-em-uniao-de-facto-com-um-portugues-ha-mais-de-3-anos#Documentosnecessrios

The conditions are:

- Be still married (or living in a similar situation), for over 3 years, with a portuguese citizen;

- Never been convicted by a crime that is punished in Portugal with a jail sentence of more than 3 years;

- Haven't exerted a public job/office, unless it was a technical one;

- Didn't serve in the military, unless it was mandatory

- Not be involved in terrorist activities

And to verify those conditions, you must present several documents, all described in the above link.

Premium Member
(@celtiberianman)

Christopher, my situation is similar to yours and I found this page helpful:

https://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/4216/92/Portugal/United-States-Citizens-Moving-to-Portugal-Demystifying-the-Paper-Trail

There is a list about midway down the page applies to us. The one thing I would change is that, relative to "health insurance", my SEF agent had no interest in my private coverage and only wanted to see that I was registered with my local freguesia

• Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online