Fraud alert! – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Fraud alert!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@bonniem)
Trusted Member

To those of you looking for someone to help with getting a bank account while still in your home country (USA in this case), be careful of who you find  online. There is a name I saw on a few sites and I paid her for the NIF and to open a bank account for me. She got the NIF,  and, since I was under the impression I had to send her money directly so she could open the bank account, as soon as I sent her the 250 euro (minimum) to just get the account started, she ceased all communication with me. Beware...If someone tells you they don't need a power of attorney for each and every service they perform, DO NOT deal with them.

So that you avoid at least one fraudster, her name is Maria Neves. DO NOT ENLIST HER SERVICES IF YOU SEE HER NAME. I only lost 250 euros instead of thousands, but I will file charges upon mg arrival in Portugal to prevent her from taking advantage of expats' remote circumstances.

Bonnie

5 Replies

Anonymous

Bonnie, so sorry that you had that happen. I suggest a reputable solicitor where you plan to settle. Do a google google search for "solicitors in ____" A solicitor is cheaper than a lawyer. And they can handle other legal matters for you. 

@peggyL

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@bonniem)
Trusted Member

Thanks, Peggy. I think I have it handled directly with the bank. Only holdup so far is Customs in Leipzig (!?!?!) holding up my documents for inspection. Just papers, no value. Go figure. DHL now shows they have arrived in Oporto but no delivery date. One might think they would be delivered on Monday (since it is Sunday and they have arrived locally in Portugal). I'll believe it when I see it! 🙂

Bonnie

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@bonniem)

Trusted Member

Hi again, Peggy

Just an update, I goy my bank account opened directly with the bank and managed to make a deposit via TransferWise. Since I also have my NIF and contract for an apartment,  I think all should go well. I'm arriving in Porto on April 1st if they get my visa and passport back to me in time. They are aware of my departure date, so we'll see.

I also  managed to get my Moderna vaccine on January 31st and the second is scheduled for February 28th. I am fortunate to have that taken care of before leaving the States. So, one more important item checked  off the list.

Regards,

Bonnie

Anonymous

@bonniem

Bonnie, Great news. I'm sure that you are getting excited. if I can help in any way, please let ne know.

@peggyL

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@bonniem)
Trusted Member

Thanks for your kind offer Peggy

Bonnie

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online