how can i open a bank account in portugal without NIF – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
how can i open a ba...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Live and Invest Portugal

how can i open a bank account in portugal without NIF  

RSS

(@tortuga)
New Member Community Member
20/05/2020 11:55 am  

hello! Could you tell how i open a bank account in Portugal without NIF?? I cheсked everything and see that it's not possible to do without tax number...

(@lincolnbaggie)
Estimable Member Admin
20/05/2020 2:58 pm  

I’m pretty certain you need an NIF number. Why not just get one?

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
20/05/2020 4:16 pm  

Hello @tortuga and a warm welcome.

I agree with @lincolnbaggie you will need a NIF number to open an account. Please take a look at the finance section of our site via this link.

https://expatsportugal.com/living-in-portugal/finances-in-portugal/

This will give you a starting point.

ReplyQuote
(@lincolnbaggie)
Estimable Member Admin
20/05/2020 4:23 pm  

@tortuga It's actually very simple to get an NIF number (assuming you are in Portugal) and doesn't commit you to anything to do with tax/IRS in Portugal as long as you are not permanently resident here and have a foreign home address you can give Financas (which is presumably the case as you haven't got an NIF at the moment). You will need one for practically anything you want to do here anyway (buying a car, renting/buying a property, opening a bank account etc).

ReplyQuote
(@piccalo)
21/05/2020 9:33 am  

Hi @tortuga You can open a bank account of blackcatcard online with only your selfie and ID. At that time i didn't have NIF as well but was in an urgent need of european account. So i applied to blackcatcard. The account is activated immediately and the card will be sent to your address by international mail.

ReplyQuote
(@x-camone)
Noble Member VIP Member
21/05/2020 2:07 pm  

A word of caution.

It may not be completely straightforward for a non EU resident to obtain a NIF - I'm pretty sure a fiscal representative must be nominated at time of application if that is the case.

This may have a future impact on UK residents who have financial interests in Portugal and do not currently have a fiscal representative.

Just thought I'd mention that in passing in case either has any bearing on the OP or whether it might affect his decision in any way as to the necessity of having a PT bank account.

Another thing to bear in mind is that most high street banks levy charges just for keeping an account open, regardless of any activity on the account. There may be ways of reducing or eliminating charges but not generally for accounts with small balances and no regular monthly deposit of salary or whatever. There are a very few free accounts which are the exception to the rule.

ReplyQuote
(@tortuga)
22/05/2020 12:54 pm  

Thanks everyone. But @piccalo I also now don't have deposit or good amount of money to put on the card as proof of my solvency. it is problem??

ReplyQuote
(@piccalo)
22/05/2020 1:54 pm  

I don't think you gonna have any problems actually. I know that even people with bad credit score use this card. Anyway, you can download the app and write to its support and check all the details. They reply promptly.

ReplyQuote

Blevins Franks Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online