Non-EU / British divorce question – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Non-EU / British di...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Non-EU / British divorce question

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@flora2020)

I'm asking for a friend. 

Her English husband is filing for divorce. She's not from EU. When married (under UK law) she also got PT residence. 

Where can we find information on UK divorce law online? 

She's a bit older, and not so savvy on the internet. 

Husband is trying for annullment instead of divorce, to speed up procedure.

She's afraid she will lose residency. 

She has a business and shop in PT and active member in community where she lives. 

We have no idea if her PT solicitor knows what rights she has, and how she can get through divorce proceedings in a way that is beneficial for her. 

I would very much appreciate any and all tips to info online or to a solicitor who will work over the internet and is clear about fees upfront before commencing consultations. 

Thanks so much 

1 Reply

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

Try these web sites to find someone who can answer those questions with legal expertise

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/family/couple/divorce-seperation/index_en.htm

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/family-residence-rights/non-eu-wife-husband-children

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/family/couple/marriage/index_en.htm

Good luck @peggyL

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online