Opening a Millennium bank account from UK – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Opening a Millenniu...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Opening a Millennium bank account from UK

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jane55)
Eminent Member

Finally sorted out my NIF number (very easy with NIF online) and the number has been emailed through today.. My next job is to open a bank account. I do not have a Portuguese address yet so this is all to be done in the UK (if possible!). Can anybody help with any links or advice as to how I go about this? I have been on their website but I am finding it really difficult to navigate (and its in English!!). Many thanks - I will get there eventually.. 

9 Replies

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Reputable Member

I found it a bit tricky from the UK but that might be because I was looking at specific online banks with free banking. They wanted my citizen's card and I don’t have one, they wouldn’t accept my passport.

it seems to me that you need to be able to prove your ID which may be difficult from abroad. Some of the banks have an outpost branch in the UK so that is one way to go about it depending on where you live.

In the end I gave up and waited until I was in Portugal. I went into a bank without an appointment and got it sorted out right away as they weren’t busy. I had to show them my original NIF issuing document, passport for id and a recent bank statement for the UK address I wanted to use for the moment. Thank goodness I had all those bits of info stored on my phone and of course my passport with me.

Which bank were you trying to use? Seems some are easier than others to navigate.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@jane55)

Eminent Member

@aspidistra thanks for that info, that's reassuring.. I was going to try Millennium Bank - I know they have an office in London (I live in Cornwall!) so its not going to be hugely more convenient than going to Portugal!! Since then my husband has discovered monthly charges on bank accounts (he's not happy!!) so now looking at BPI that appear not to charge.. He is off to Braga next month to try it out so fingers crossed.. Good luck with your application. Thanks again.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Reputable Member

The banks that apparently don't charge for account maintenance are (as off 23Jan2022):

- Banco CTT, Banco Finantia, Banco Invest and BNI Europa

- (online banks) Banco Best, ActivoBank and BiG

The BPI bank account (Conta Valor BPI) costs €4,5 + 23% VAT/month.

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@antonio_f 

Worth noting that Banco CTT have announced that they will be charging an annual account maintenance fee of £20.80 as from the 1st April this year.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@old-bloke Thanks. I've heard that somehere, but as I haven't seen it in their webpage, I didn't mentioned it. Another one bites the dust...

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Reputable Member

Someone recommended CTT on here as free and I went to apply to them but they wanted a lot of documentation that I didn’t have to hand, plus I am afraid to say it is easier having an account that can be used easily in English language.

3 Replies
Community Member
(@jane55)

Eminent Member

@aspidistra Thanks so much for the info via email, really appreciate it.. I have tentatively made an appointment at Millennium in London for early March, wish me luck!! I think I agree with you, I shall stick with a mainstream bank and then see how it goes.. 

Community Member
(@jane55)

Eminent Member

Just an update. It couldnt have gone any better.. My appointment with Michael at Millennium in London went perfectly. I am glad I took the reams of paper that I have accumulated as I needed them all. So I am now a proud owner of a Millennium Current Account and a Debit Card. The app works beautifully on my iPhone and it is all in English (currently necessary, but hopefully not forever!)

Not only that, Michael made me even more determined to get to Portugal finally by the end of the year - he spoke so fondly of his home country and the area I want to live in... I have exchanged a couple of WhatsApp messages with Michael also (he did suggest it as a way of getting touch) and he responded promptly and helpfully.. My husband muttered something about 'why don't you take Michael to Portugal with you then as you seem so fond of him'..... now there's a thought!!!!

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member
Posted by: @jane55

My husband muttered something about 'why don't you take Michael to Portugal with you then as you seem so fond of him'..... now there's a thought!!!!

🤣 🤣 

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online