Opening bank account in-country – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Opening bank accoun...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner
  • Martinhall banner

Opening bank account in-country

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@sbwtwo)
Eminent Member

Good morning, fellow travelers and potential immigrants. 

I will be in Portugal on my scouting trip in a few weeks.  I have my NIF and now hope to open a Portuguese bank account, but one of the stated required documents has me concerned.  I see there is a need to produce recent pay stubs.  (Un)fortunately, I am no longer employed (I retired last year).   I have savings to draw down before I begin a regular withdrawal from my retirement accounts in a few years.

Has anyone who does not receive a regular paycheck been able to open a bank account?  I can show the balances in my US accounts as evidence that I am financially sound, but the last pay stub I have will be nine months out of date.

Hoping to set up an account with ActivoBank, but would do so with Millenium if only to get through the visa application process.  However, if there is a pay stub requirement, ...

Thank you,

scott

Topic Tags
8 Replies

Premium Member
(@ericj)
Estimable Member

@sbwtwo Hi Scott......I am currently retired as well and was able to open a Bank Account through Millennium with no issue.  I did produce a current statement from my US Account at that time but I think that was used just to further confirm my identity.

EricJ

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@sbwtwo)

Eminent Member

@livinginusa Thanks, Eric.

Community Member
(@sonia)
Trusted Member

When opening a bank account in Portugal you must provide ID, proof of address (usually a water, electricity or phone bill) and proof of employment (usually a recent pay stub) retirees can provide a document that states that they are retired, this is for all banks, I believe it’s required by the Banco de Portugal which is the entity that regulates the banks.

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Hi Scott I am exactly the same position, three years off getting my pension but living on savings until then. I am also wondering what to do. This also applies to getting the visa.

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Reputable Member

The legal/Bank of Portugal requirement for proof of employment-based income was removed around 15 years ago, as it was disenfranchising unemployed people, informal workers, housewives/husbands, etc.  However, it's still normal for banks to request it as a default, and acceptance of customers is at their discretion, of course.  For Portuguese citizens, other documents (being "signed on" for unemployment benefit; a document from the Freguesia) can cover this off, but this won't help you.

Banks should be able to accept other proofs of solvency/cashflow, although without clear income (of some established form) it may reduce your potential to access any form of credit.  So, I would bring what you have - evidence of future pension, savings/deposits, country of origin bank statements, etc - and if doing it in person, and the first bank doesn't allow it, try others.  A good colleague in a branch should be able to assess you appropriately.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@sbwtwo)

Eminent Member

@thomasribatejo Thank you, Thomas.

Page 1 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online