Opening bank account in-country - Page 2 – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Opening bank accoun...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Opening bank account in-country

7 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@sbwtwo)

Good morning, fellow travelers and potential immigrants. 

I will be in Portugal on my scouting trip in a few weeks.  I have my NIF and now hope to open a Portuguese bank account, but one of the stated required documents has me concerned.  I see there is a need to produce recent pay stubs.  (Un)fortunately, I am no longer employed (I retired last year).   I have savings to draw down before I begin a regular withdrawal from my retirement accounts in a few years.

Has anyone who does not receive a regular paycheck been able to open a bank account?  I can show the balances in my US accounts as evidence that I am financially sound, but the last pay stub I have will be nine months out of date.

Hoping to set up an account with ActivoBank, but would do so with Millenium if only to get through the visa application process.  However, if there is a pay stub requirement, ...

Thank you,

scott

Topic Tags
6 Replies
Community Member
(@aspidistra)

That's good they will accept tax returns in lieu of pay slips. Thanks for the info.

I tried again to open an ActivoBank account online but it won’t let me without a citizen’s card. Sadly no branches in the south as far as I can see.

Page 2 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal