Possible to get a NIF and open a Bank Account while in US? – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Possible to get a N...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Ei! Migration Banner

Possible to get a NIF and open a Bank Account while in US?  

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Hello All,

I am very new to the whole process of considering retirement in Portugal.  I have done a bit of reading all around but have not been able to come up with a concrete answer as to whether or not I can obtain a NIF and open a Bank Account while in the US without visiting Portugal first?  Covid restrictions, etc are unfortunately delaying the opportunity of visiting in the foreseeable future.

Thanks in advance.........

7 Replies
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @livinginusa

Hello All,

I am very new to the whole process of considering retirement in Portugal.  I have done a bit of reading all around but have not been able to come up with a concrete answer as to whether or not I can obtain a NIF and open a Bank Account while in the US without visiting Portugal first?  Covid restrictions, etc are unfortunately delaying the opportunity of visiting in the foreseeable future.

Thanks in advance.........

Hi, welcome 👍

You can only obtain a NIF (Portuguese Tax Number) if you live, in Portugal. You have to have a Portuguese address.

After that, you can open a bank account.

You do not need a NIF or a Bank Account to visit Portugal and look for a property.

So, visit when you can.

Which may be a while the way that Trump is going 😄

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hello @livinginusa

I think it would be worthwhile to contact one of our sponsors Ei Migration. They can provide assistance on these matters and could help you to prepare for your move before the travel restrictions are lifted. For further details, click on the below:

https://expatsportugal.com/community/red-tape-business-portugal/assistance-with-visa-residency-fiscal-nhr-schools-drivers-licence-etc-etc-etc/#post-178818

VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member

Oh, and a name would be nice. In Portugal we use first names. And we are nice to each other.

'Living in the USA' isn't very personal or friendly 😳

Just saying 👍

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

I believe it is possible to obtain a NIF as a non-resident and from abroad but you would need to appoint a fiscal representative and give them power of attorney in order to do that. There are businesses of one sort or another who will do this for you.

The NIF issued would reflect the fact that you are non-resident - not sure how that works if you later become resident.

Community Member
(@wosiebeegs)
Eminent Member

We don't live in Portugal yet, but got NIF numbers while in the UK and without having a Power of Attorney, I don't know how it was done mind you, the estate agent we are using managed to do it on our behalf. I had to send copies of our proof of address and passports and sign a letter of authorisation to say that we were happy for the agent to apply on our behalf. I think the cost was a little over €20 for us both. We also opened a bank account with Santander, but, although the paperwork was all in place for us to sign, we did have to visit the bank here in the UK to sign it all. I believe there are bank accounts you can open on-line though, Activo possibly may be one of them, so worth looking into.

As @x-camone says, you could most likely get an NIF number by appointing a power of attorney. We have one of those in place for our lawyer to sign the purchase documents on our behalf. Fingers crossed the promissory note exchange should be happening this week.

Hope that helps and good luck 😊

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

I had to send copies of our proof of address and passports and sign a letter of authorisation to say that we were happy for the agent to apply on our behalf.

This is what I was referring to in using the phrase "power of attorney". It's a document called a procuração which is drawn up for such a specific purpose.

In the OP's case, as he's resident outside the EU he would also have to appoint a fiscal representative, which service would be charged at a cost additional to that of having the NIF acquired on his behalf and would be a precondition to having the NIF issued.

WRT opening an online bank account, I think you actually have to present yourself and docs at some point before the whole thing is finalised - unless, of course, an agent could also do that for you.

Page 1 / 2

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online