recibos verdes...self employment in Portugal – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Forum

Welcome to the Expats Portugal forum!

Since 2005, this forum has had over 6,000 people sign up and take part in our community.

It is a place for people who want to move to Portugal and for those already living here to meet and share knowledge through our community.

With the recent revamp of the site, we have chosen to keep the forum on the website rather than create a social media group as we know there are people concerned about privacy and who owns their data. Plus there is a wealth of information from the years gone by that we did not want to lose.

But this forum is nothing without your input. So come on in, take a look around, ask questions and answer a few.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please head over to the My Account section and reset your password today.

recibos verdes...se...

Notifications

recibos verdes...self employment in Portugal  

lucca
(@lucca)

Hello..can someone please briefly explain the Recibos Verdes ...I am a US citizen living n Portugal with a work permit but would like to become self-employed and continue to pay into the Segurança Social.  Someone told me that it  is €80.- per month.  I spoke with a contabilista but did not understand her very well, since she spoke no English...any advise greatly appreciated

Topic Tags
2 Replies
RichardHenshall
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

I have no experience of how it works but if you can wade through this, you'll know much more than me!

Tania
(@tartntiny)
Trusted Member

Hi, I was on recibos verdes for a few years.  There have been some changes since I went on contract but the main ones seem to be with how you report contributions for social security and the IRS rates I think have decreased a bit. 

For social security it is now based on your last three months salary.  You can fill in your info on the social security website and it calculates it for you. 

For IVA, the threshold is still 10,000€.  Absolutely ridiculous as this hasn't changed since the 70's or 80's according to my colleagues.  So once you reach that you have to start charging IVA on top of the total amount charged.  

Also an issue is if your type of accounting.  I had simplified, I did everything myself. The other option is organised accounting. 

Personally I think to start I would find an English speaking accountant with experience in this and then go in person to Finanças.  Once they set you up you can do everything online.  I don't know what area you live in but I used Accounting Advantage in Alverca, Claudia Azevedo.  Anyway, I am sure in Lisbon there are lots that could help out. 

I found this in English:   http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt/apoio_contribuinte/Folhetos_informativos/Documents/Tips_for_starting_a_business.pdf

And that link came from here which seems up to date:  https://www.practiceportuguese.com/learning-notes/how-to-become-a-freelancer-in-portugal-and-issue-recibos-verdes/

They are current as well:   https://www.lisbob.net/en/blog/category/Freelancer

I hope some of this helps,

Tania

You need to be a Paid User to create items and comment on this forum

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Over 6,000 members already registered on our forum
  • Post and reply to threads in the Forum (non-members can just view)
  • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
  • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners

Already a member? Log in here

Donate today to gain full accessOnly €20 per year
Share:

Booking.com

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online