Shipping car from USA to Portugal – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Shipping car from U...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Shipping car from USA to Portugal

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@andrei)
Eminent Member

Hello Guys,

Do you know what the best company is that I can use to send a car from USA to Portugal?   The company "A-1 Auto Transport" from ExpatsPortugal Business Directory doesn't ship cars to Portugal.  When I tried to get a quote for such service at this company website, I've got a message

"We Apologize For the Inconvenience: Our Form Is Not Currently Supporting: "Portugal"!?

Thank you!

Andrei

16 Replies

Community Member
(@jardineira_alentejana)

You don't say where you're located in the US, but you can try smmoving.com. Else you can see who else globalmobility.pt works with in the US. Good luck!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@andrei)
Eminent Member

I live near Seattle, Washington state.

Premium Member
(@dzid_)

I am going to use https://www.shipoverseas.com/  

They have container shipping at about $2000 for a sedan. Roro at about $1400.

Ground trucking adds about $700 from Michigan to east cost.

12 Replies
Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@dzid_

Thanks for sharing that information. Prices look good. Don't forget you will have to have the vehicle matriculated for use in Portugal. That will require registration on Portuguese plates and ensuring the vehicle meets European standards. This can be a difficult area, let me know if you need more information.

Premium Member
(@dzid_)

@gerry Hi, thanks for the feedback. I am already trying to join ACP and use their help with getting CoC for my BMW.

Still so many unknowns...

- How do I get from the port to the inspection garage without having Portugal registration? 

- What if they find some issues, i.e. small oil leak or a custom body panel. Will there be a chance to fix it? How do I go to a mechanic without registration?

Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@dzid_ Hi. You should be able to drive the car on US plates for a period of time. Double check this with ACP but this should resolve your questions above.

Premium Member
(@andrei)

Eminent Member

@gerry Hello Gerry,

It would be great if you give me additional information about shipping a car from abroad to Portugal!  Thank you!

Andrei

Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@andrei 

Hello Andrei

Can you please clarify your question. Do you mean about the physical shipment or the importation and matriculation once the car arrives?

Premium Member
(@andrei)

Eminent Member

@gerry It would be nice to get more information about both processes!  Thank you!

Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@andrei

Sorry for my late response. I was checking into your earlier comment about A1 when you got the message to say their form doesn't support Portugal. Apparently, they do this because they want you to call them to discuss rather than complete the online form. Difficult for us to advise further without all you specific information but I do suggest you call A1 to learn about the shipping requirements. A1 should be able to advise on all costs from collection in USA to Customs cleared in Portugal. Also, do consider insurance, no matter how well packed in the container, those ships do rock and roll and some containers can let water in. 

Regarding the matriculation, ACP are undoubtedly the experts and again, so much will depend on your specific information that there is no straight answer. Type of vehicle, age, ownership, engine size will all play a part. I do highly recommend that you check the possibilities and cost of the matriculation with ACP before you proceed to ship. There are stories of vehicles having to be returned to USA because they do not conform to EU standards. 

Premium Member
(@andrei)

Eminent Member

@gerry Thank you, Gerry!

Community Member
(@frango)

@andrei we have had great difficult in getting customs clearance for a car from uk to PT. 6 weeks on we still have no cars. My advice would be to engage with a customs agent before you ship and seek their advice about process and procedure, if you want to get your car in a reasonable time and not pay the import fees. If coat is not an option, you can pay the fees of course. For my £45,000 secondhand car, the fees would be €30,000 in vat etc.

Premium Member
(@designer_phil)

@gerry Hi Gerry, I just spoke with Jack at Shipoverseas.com, and he sent me the name of a "Customs Clearance Broker", who might be able to help my car clear Customs, once it arrives at the Port of Leixeos, PT.  I've written this company, to find out exactly which documents they will need from me, in order to get the car into the country without too much grief....

Premium Member
(@designer_phil)

@dzid_    Good info. I will also be moving my car from MI to Portugal. I contacted the company you listed, and asked for a quote.

Thanks,

Phil

Premium Member
(@dzid_)

@designer_phil A week ago I dropped my car in New Jersey. 

I drove there myself because ground trucking by regulations has a limitation of 200lbs of luggage inside the car  and nothing on the roof allowed. I had a lot of stuff and windsurfing board on the roof, so I saved some money on trucking and was able to take everything. They didn't complain about the stuff on the roof. 

Though I must say, the drop off place looked so scetchy.  It was raining and everywhere there was mud, and we were repacking few luggage bags to Uber. The place looked like junkyard and they were literally throwing cars around with a machinery. I think they have proper office nearby, but I was directed only to that muddy place where there was just a smelling, leaking shack with one guy that was driving the forklift who received me. 

I will give an update if they tell me what happened with the car next. 

BTW, pro tip. Buy Samsung SmartTag or Apple AirTag and put it in the car. There is a chance you will be getting some updates on where is the car!

I wish I did it. 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @dzid_

How do I get from the port to the inspection garage without having Portugal registration? 

- What if they find some issues, i.e. small oil leak or a custom body panel. Will there be a chance to fix it? How do I go to a mechanic without registration?

Until you officially become a resident you aren't one. Entry to PT on a residency visa does not make you a resident, it's only once SEF issue you with a resident's permit will you officially become resident.

A foreign registered car can remain in Portugal for a maximum of 185 days, after which it is deemed to have been imported whether you've started the process or not. Similarly a non resident of Portugal can drive a foreign registered car that belongs to them for that same time period. A resident of Portugal cannot legally drive a foreign registered vehicle (some exemptions apply, e.g. customs authorisation issued once the import process has been started).

When you apply to import the car by submission of a DAV and the registration document, PT customs will issue you with an authorisation document permitting your continued use of it whilst the process for putting it onto PT registration takes place.

Yes, if your car fails the (enhanced) IPO test for imported vehicles you will have the option to rectify the faults and submit it for a re-test, if the faults are minor you can continue to use the vehicle whilst repairs/modifications are made. If the faults are serious (safety critical) you will have to get it trailered/trucked away.

Garage mechanics aren't interested whether it's on PT plates or not, there are no laws preventing them from working on foreign registered vehicles.

spartan Fx

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online