Temporary Stay Visa – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Temporary Stay Visa

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Martinhall banner
  • Serenity Banner

Temporary Stay Visa

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jaymag81)

Hi! This is such a great forum! Thanks for having me here.

I'm really hoping someone can help me please.

I'm trying to apply for a temporary stay visa from the UK to Portugal - I'm hoping to live in Portugal for about 6 months or so (potentially longer if all works out, and work as a freelancer AND keep my current part time job in the UK (working remotely).

I can't seem to find any answers on how to do this. The official application form on the embassy page is down, none of the phone numbers connect to a human, there is no way to book appointments at VFS at the moment - visa support agencies are not picking up the phones.

Have I gone crazy? Is it now impossible to get a temporary stay visa for Portugal? If you could please point me in the right direction of some help - I would really appreciate it please!

Many thanks!

Jon

4 Replies

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Reputable Member

The basic premise is this:

"As from 31 December 2020, British nationals will be treated the same as nationals from third countries. However they will be exempt from requiring a tourist visa when crossing the external European Union borders for short stays of up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. This Regulation also applies to nationals of third countries legally resident in the United Kingdom if they are nationals of third countries already exempt from requiring a tourist visa in the aforementioned condition (ex. Brazilians)."

If you intend to stay longer, or travel for under 90 days for non-tourist purposes, then you must apply for a visa, and this process begins online with VFS.  The link to apply is here:

1 Reply
Community Member
(@deekay)

We have been here three months and will have to return to the UK to reapply for our d7visa but we are also finding it impossible to get in touch with VFS as all the web sites do not seem to work. I would also be greatful if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you 

Loving it here in Portugal and we really do not want to return to the uk

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

It’s a shame one can’t stay there while waiting for the visa application - a sort of temporary-temporary visa but that's it after the 90 years, back to Plague Island.

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Oops, 90 days. 😂

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online