UK passport holder moving from France – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
UK passport holder ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • Martinhall banner
  • spartan Fx

UK passport holder moving from France

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@amcinfrance)

Hello all, we are a British couple who have lived in France fro 18 years and now want to move to Portugal.  We are retired, and meet the income requirements.  We both have a French Carte de Sejour, which proves French Residency.  Article 116 on the SEF web site covers applications from holders of long term residency from another EU member state, and it implies that this can be done from within Portugal, ie without applying fro a D7 visa from a French consulate.  Does anyone have experience of this or can perhaps explain the process in more detail.  Many thanks in advance

5 Replies

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Reputable Member

This seems theoretically possible

https://sites.google.com/site/leximigratoria/artigo-116-o-direito-de-residencia-do-titular-do-estatuto-de-residente-de-longa-duracao-em-outro-estado-membro-da-uniao-europeia?authuser=0

however as you state you are retired, you'd be doing this exclusively on the basis of 1d, and the "motivo atendível" (sufficient/relevant reason) classification is not explained (whereas all the other categories have some kind of other qualifying information).  I think you should get professional legal or relocation-service advice, to clarify whether or not you can be considered to have a "motivo atendível". 

I have not come across anyone who has taken this route - which is not to say there is not someone!  However, your specific personal circumstances may differ from another's, so even with experience from someone else, it would be wise to seek advice before incurring costs in a move.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@amcinfrance)

Thanks for that, I thought it was too good to be true.  I have asked the consulate in Bordeaux the same question so If I hear anything useful I'll post it here

Community Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

Sorry, this is not the news you want, but the Article 50 residence card is a different beast to the permanent residence status referred to by the SEF in the article you cite. Specifically, it is an exception to the "onward mobility" provision that applies under Community law to holders of long-term residence cards from other EU states. That hasn't been particularly well publicized by embassies, but has been discussed at length on e.g. Spanish expat forums. In other words, if you wanted to come to Portugal, you'd have to start from scratch with as third-country nationals. The only (slight) silver lining to that cloud is that you can be out of France (as your current host state) for 5 years before your current status as permanent residents of France is lost.

Community Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

Page 1 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online