Visa question – Non EU Folk – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Visa question

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@sarmay)

Hello, 

My husband and I are planning to move from the U.S. to Portugal in the next couple of years. I will have a small pension from my state-government job, which will provide enough annually for the minimum required under the D7 (I would be retiring early due to the nature of my career). My husband is a full-time, permanent remote employee for a U.S.-based corporation, which will allow him to work anywhere. His salary would provide the bulk of our income once I retire early. Would he be permitted to continue working remotely on a D7 visa, or would we both have to be retired? 

I have seen conflicting information about whether he would be able to work on the D7 visa, and whether his income would be counted. 

I am also curious if there are other Americans who work remotely, do you pay Portuguese taxes on your income, do you still pay state taxes from our U.S.-based state, or do you only pay U.S. federal taxes? 

I would also be interested in any recommendations for lawyers who can assist us in navigating the visa/property/tax requirements.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

5 Replies

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

I don't have answers to all your questions, but here's what I know:  according to the very informative webinar last week with Gilda of EI, a holder of a D7 visa can work in PT. Well worth watching it. 

As a US citizen, and regarding federal income taxes, you cannot (legally) escape the clutches of the IRS.  Whether you would still be liable for state tax depends on your state of official residence.

a) If your last state of official residence does not have a state income tax, such as FL, SD, AK, etc, then as an expat you will continue not to have a state tax obligation. 

b) But if you are coming from a state that DOES have an income tax - and you do not want to continue to pay state tax - then you need to look up the specific guidelines for your state regarding its criteria for determining residency for tax purposes. Some states are 'sticky' and make it less than easy to become a non resident for tax purposes.  If you have any real estate, bank accounts, drivers license, registration to vote, etc, in such a state, you may be deemed to have sufficient ties to the state and a tax resident even if you don't physically live in the state anymore. 

So best to look up in you state's code what its criteria are and arrange your affairs accordingly.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@sarmay)

@jeanne Thank you. Is the webinar available still so that I can watch it?

Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

Hi @sarmay 

All our videos are available here: Expats Portugal - YouTube

Premium Member
(@sarmay)

@gerry Thank you. I found them. Of course, after watching the video that @jeannemarie linked here, I have more questions. That is always the way with immigration law.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online