school for high IQ students – Parents/Children – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Live and Invest Portugal

school for high IQ students  

VIP Member
(@aasta)
Estimable Member

Hello! My 14 year old nephew has been in a private international school near Cascais. My sister´s (single mom) business has taken a downturn, so that she was not able to pay second semester of tuition last year, and now A. has not been able to return to school this year. So currently he is at home. I have repeatedly pleaded that she enroll him in public school but she feels that the public school system in PT is not of very high standards. Question: does anyone know if there is a public school near Cascais which has classes for very intelligent students. Thanks....have attempted googling this question with no luck.

4 Replies

VIP Member
(@lobito)
Famed Member

I have never heard of schools specifically for very intelligent children or with high IQ (it's one of those things like polygraphs that we don't take very seriously...). But, of course, there are good schools and bad schools, and here are the rankings of last year, as published:

http://www.publico.pt/rankings-das-esco ... secundario

or here

http://expresso.sapo.pt/ranking-das-esc ... 13=f840093

Mind you, there has been allegations of fiddling with marks, etc

My nephews and nieces basically started life in private schools and then switched to public school around that age or so. Almost all 13 (so far) went to good universities and, again, almost all that finished were employed straight away.

Is your sister home schooling your nephew?

VIP Member
(@aasta)
Estimable Member

Yes, he is currently being home schooled but he is not sufficiently challenged. Thanks for the links...and will pass on the info about your relatives....

VIP Member
(@lobito)
Famed Member

For me it's difficult to accept that homeschooling is better than a so-so school with a lot of back-up at home... But maybe your sister doesn't feel up to help him if he studies in Portuguese?

VIP Member
(@liesbetje)
Estimable Member

For me it's difficult to accept that homeschooling is better than a so-so school with a lot of back-up at home...

I'd also think that the combination of a so-so school with homeschooling (maybe in different languages?) might be the challenge that your nephew is after? It's worth a try!

Ei! Migration Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online