Schools advice – Parents/Children – Expats Portugal Community Forum

acp benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Schools advice

Community Member
Topic starter
(@dadza79)

Hi all!

Could you help me out with finding out where can I find out about schools? 

We live between Tabua and Oliveira do Hospital, I need to register my daughter (10yo) in school. I understand that there are a few schools of different cycles in the area, but I'm not sure which one is most suitable for us. 

Would the local office have that information? 

Thank you in advance! 

1 Reply

Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Dadza, 

I don't know your area but when I enrolled my girls into their public school (they now go to a private school), it was very easy - even with my limited Portuguese. You need to take your and kids identification, vaccination report for your children and proof of residency.

The first cycle is for grades "pre, 1, 2, 3 and 4"

The second cycle is for "5 and 6" grades (my 10-year-old daughter will be starting 5th grade in September)

The third cycle is for "7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12" grades (my 12-year-old daughter will be starting 7th grade in September)

What I would suggest if visiting the school that suits the grades of your kids and enrol them. Most schools would be closed now but the offices reopening in September. The school year is due to start in mid-September. 

They will have a list of school books for you to purchase for the year. We would go to the local newsagency and put our names down for the "bundle of books". We would then return to collect them.

From my experience, I did everything at the school directly, not at the council office.

Let me know if I can help more.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online