Schools on Silver Coast? – Parents/Children – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Schools on Silver Coast?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@williwaw36)

We are moving to Portugal June 2021 and will have a 3rd grader and Kindergartener for the 2021/22 school year. Firstly, how have the PT schools been doing with Covid-19? Still in full operation? I had heard that they started back in September, but wondering now that the numbers are going so crazy if they are planning to continue. 

Also, we think we have narrowed our search down to the Silver Coast area. Basically we are looking for a place that has low cost of living, isn't too far from the beach, and isn't too cold in the winters. Silver Coast seems like it fits the bill...so now to research specific areas and that will depend on schools. At first glance we thought we would need to spend the $10k + per year for International school, but I am finding by reading this forum that many of you have found success and even prefer the local public schools...I am intrigued!! That would be amazing to save the money. I saw the school "ranking", but it didn't seem all that helpful. Most of the schools in the Silver Coast area were ranked 300th to 600th or something. 

If anyone has anything more specific, like good experiences in the schools (public or Portuguese private) anywhere along the Silver Coast, that would be amazing! Support for English speakers (I have heard that some schools offer better support than others) and buses (some private schools have buses?) would be preferred.

Thanks so much!

Melanie

9 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@saracruz)

Hello Melanie, welcome!

I am glad you're considering Central Portugal for your residency. Public schools are great in general, and kids always learn foreign languages so that wouldn't be a problem.

Where in specific are you searching for, within the Silver Coast area? Do you have a village, city, where you're considering on staying? Let us know more details so that we can help! I live in Coimbra but I know all the region between Lagoa de Óbidos and Aveiro quite well. Thanks 🙂

6 Replies
Premium Member
(@williwaw36)

@saracruz

Sorry for the long time in replying...I actually still need this information if you are willing to share! We present for our D7 visa applications next week! And now I'm really starting to stress about schools!

We have considered Caldas and Alcobaca. I want to be able to grow our own food with an acre or so of land. My husband wants to be close to the beach. We want good schools for our little ones. And a nice, vibrant community would be wonderful. Being on the outskirts where we could walk (a mile or so) would be ideal. This is all for a house we will eventually buy. We would like to rent for  year in the same school district so the kids dont have to move again if possible. 

Main concerns about schools is support for non-native speakers. My son will be in 3rd grade. I'm not worried about my Kindergartner learning. But I dont want my 3rd grader to fall behind or not be supported. 

How have other expats found this transition? Did you hire a tutor to help? Did you find the school supportive? If so, what school? 

Thanks all! Hoping to be landing July 1st!

Melanie

(@saracruz)

@williwaw36 thanks for clarifying. I have never lived in Caldas or Alcobaça, I only guided tours there, so what I know about those places are the general vibe of the sights and historical buildings. I am not familiar with schools in those districts. I can see that you're choosing it because of being close to the ocean and having some land. I'm not sure about the vibrant community part specially in Alcobaça which is a smaller city, I would associate Aveiro more with that description. Aveiro has international schools and some portuguese, public ones, where the educators speak English.

I hope someone from Caldas or Alcobaça can help you with the school part 🙂

Premium Member
(@williwaw36)

@saracruz

Thank you. Would Aveiro be a good place to grow food year round as well? It seems as we get further north from Caldas things get colder in the winters? Perhaps not as good for farming? Thanks so much for being willing to help! 

(@saracruz)

@williwaw36 I don't think my previous message went through so I'll write again 😀 temperatures and soil are very similar when it comes to Aveiro and Caldas/Alcobaça. They are all in Central Portugal and the difference of temperatures is more between east and west. People grow food and live of their own land there all year round.

Premium Member
(@williwaw36)

@saracruz

Thank you!!

Would love to hear of school experiences between Caldas and Aveiro if anyone out there has any!

(@saracruz)

@williwaw36 I found these contacts in Central Portugal for now: http://www.clic.edu.pt/contactos (Marinha Grande); https://www.colegiosjose.pt/ (Coimbra)

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@williwaw36)

Thanks! I have been in contact with CLIC, but I was just curious about the transition for english speaking kids to the local public schools. I have heard it depends on the public school (the level if support or lack of support) so I am just hoping someone out there has experience in that area. Anyone? 

Thank you so much, Sara!

(@pamalcobaca)

Hi, I live in Alcobaça and although I don't have children I know some of the teachers here (there are 2 high schools and one primary school in the town itself). They usually have extra classes for children to improve their Portuguese and I believe generally pick it up much more quickly than adults! I live close to the primary school and they are now open again after the confinamento although the parent stand in distanced queues to pick them up, different year groups use different entrances and the playground areas are separated for different year groups too. I have seen pictures of inside the classrooms that show they have perspex screens between the children in class

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online