Schools on Silver Coast? – Parents/Children – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Schools on Silver Coast?  

Premium Member
(@williwaw36)

We are moving to Portugal June 2021 and will have a 3rd grader and Kindergartener for the 2021/22 school year. Firstly, how have the PT schools been doing with Covid-19? Still in full operation? I had heard that they started back in September, but wondering now that the numbers are going so crazy if they are planning to continue. 

Also, we think we have narrowed our search down to the Silver Coast area. Basically we are looking for a place that has low cost of living, isn't too far from the beach, and isn't too cold in the winters. Silver Coast seems like it fits the bill...so now to research specific areas and that will depend on schools. At first glance we thought we would need to spend the $10k + per year for International school, but I am finding by reading this forum that many of you have found success and even prefer the local public schools...I am intrigued!! That would be amazing to save the money. I saw the school "ranking", but it didn't seem all that helpful. Most of the schools in the Silver Coast area were ranked 300th to 600th or something. 

If anyone has anything more specific, like good experiences in the schools (public or Portuguese private) anywhere along the Silver Coast, that would be amazing! Support for English speakers (I have heard that some schools offer better support than others) and buses (some private schools have buses?) would be preferred.

Thanks so much!

Melanie

1 Reply

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@saracruz)

Hello Melanie, welcome!

I am glad you're considering Central Portugal for your residency. Public schools are great in general, and kids always learn foreign languages so that wouldn't be a problem.

Where in specific are you searching for, within the Silver Coast area? Do you have a village, city, where you're considering on staying? Let us know more details so that we can help! I live in Coimbra but I know all the region between Lagoa de Óbidos and Aveiro quite well. Thanks 🙂

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online