Welcome to the Expats Portugal forum!

Since 2005, this forum has had over 6,000 people sign up and take part in our community.

It is a place for people who want to move to Portugal and for those already living here to meet and share knowledge through our community.

With the recent revamp of the site, we have chosen to keep the forum on the website rather than create a social media group as we know there are people concerned about privacy and who owns their data. Plus there is a wealth of information from the years gone by that we did not want to lose.

But this forum is nothing without your input. So come on in, take a look around, ask questions and answer a few.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please head over to the My Account section and reset your password today.

Notifications

Home Education  

Page 2 / 4

Robin Greenwood
(@robin-greenwood)
Honorable Member

Hello

I just wondered - is it permissible to home educate / de-school children in Portugal?

Or is a formal school education mandatory?

I am asking on behalf of a friend.

Thank you.

17 Replies
Jamie
(@jamie)

I share your concerns too Robin about home schooling. I have not been impressed by what I have seen.

Funny that - I'm often unimpressed by what I have seen of schooled children.

GPF
 GPF
(@gpf)
Noble Member

Without the fundamental bilingualism from lessons and playground I'd say the key benefit of parachuting kids into a new country and culture would be lost, a sad thing. Plus no school network of friends for later life.

lobito
(@lobito)
Famed Member

Without the fundamental bilingualism from lessons and playground I'd say the key benefit of parachuting kids into a new country and culture would be lost, a sad thing. Plus no school network of friends for later life.

True.

gs
 gs
(@_gs_)
Trusted Member

With 3 children all in school since 2008 the eldest taking the Provas to graduate ciclo one. They have been in school in the interior initially a village school with 20 odd children....education was limited but language learning and integrating much much easier.

Now we moved areas and they go to a bigger school 600 pupils with great teachers and they are thriving. They are happy, busy socially and integrated. A lot more so than me.

And they are bilingual, they mostly havent lost their english ness but they also have enough portuguesish ness to fit in without any more than the usual problems any child faces at any school.

I find the interest from my childrens Portuguese teachers reassuring. They have assessed each of my childrens characters and always have some recommendations. Whereas in England my children were often ignored as they didnt cause any trouble.

So far the experience of local education has been only positive.

franny
(@franny)

Hello,
Homeschooling is legal in Portugal. Claudia Sousa tells more about it in this video;
http://youtu.be/aa9BkryYIuw

Page 2 / 4

You need to be a Paid User to create items and comment on this forum

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Over 6,000 members already registered on our forum
  • Post and reply to threads in the Forum (non-members can just view)
  • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
  • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners

Already a member? Log in here

Donate today to gain full accessOnly €20 per year
Share:

Booking.com

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online