Boar Alert – Pets, Animals and Wildlife – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

Boar Alert  

Page 1 / 3

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

We have evidence that there is a boar or boars snooping around. We cannot actually see them but worried that they will get into the garden and start digging, plants, lawn etc.

Does anyone know a foolproof way of getting rid of them aside from buying a shotgun!

13 Replies
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @gerry

We have evidence that there is a boar or boars snooping around. We cannot actually see them but worried that they will get into the garden and start digging, plants, lawn etc.

Does anyone know a foolproof way of getting rid of them aside from buying a shotgun!

Hi Gerry,

You don't say what your evidence for the boar presence is, could be badgers, and whatever they are it seems that they haven't actually done anything yet 😉

We have had boars and badgers since moving in and, as they were here first, we just appreciated having them visit. We have two streams and in one of them they made a wallow.  We have trail-cameras and we watched the original pair bring their four new arrivals to us the second year. Amazing.

We bought sheep last year and therefore fenced three terraces which included the wallow.  The boars just moved on to the other stream and carried on. They have never breached the fence, it's only metre high sheep wire fencing. The badgers go underneath it but as they are under a foot high it doesn't matter.

Until they, if it is boars, cause a problem I'd leave it, but a trail-cam and enjoy the show 😊

All the best,

Chris & Hellen on the Gardunha's 👍

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

I think you have four choices. Shoot them. Trap them. Obtain an electronic acoustic repeller. Hope they don´t do too much damage.

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

Build a wall around your property. They will tunnel under a wire fence.

We have a wall, but neighboring fazendas do not, and are not too badly affected.

And yes we have javali here, and I cross their tracks when walking the dog.

You need a license to hunt these animals.

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Many thanks @alan and @hartmill.

We have a wall but it's not that high and I certainly don't fancy trying to shoot or trap them, even if I had a licence. Are there any organisations I can contact where they might come out and trap them?

Admin
(@astridff)

Don’t dogs help keep them away?

1 Reply
 alan
VIP Member
(@alan)

Noble Member

@astridff Our dog makes a lot of noise when he hears anything in the garden.

Gerry says he has a low wall. Until the fire the other year the rear wall of our property was just over 1 cement block high, surmounted by a wire netting fence. No javali ever came in. (The wall is now 2 blocks higher as a fire break.)

He could talk to the neighbors and the Junta.

Alan

Page 1 / 3

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online