Boar Alert - Page 2 – Pets, Animals and Wildlife – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Boar Alert

Page 2 / 3

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

We have evidence that there is a boar or boars snooping around. We cannot actually see them but worried that they will get into the garden and start digging, plants, lawn etc.

Does anyone know a foolproof way of getting rid of them aside from buying a shotgun!

13 Replies
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @gerry

We have evidence that there is a boar or boars snooping around. We cannot actually see them but worried that they will get into the garden and start digging, plants, lawn etc.

Does anyone know a foolproof way of getting rid of them aside from buying a shotgun!

Hi Gerry,

You don't say what your evidence for the boar presence is, could be badgers, and whatever they are it seems that they haven't actually done anything yet 😉

We have had boars and badgers since moving in and, as they were here first, we just appreciated having them visit. We have two streams and in one of them they made a wallow.  We have trail-cameras and we watched the original pair bring their four new arrivals to us the second year. Amazing.

We bought sheep last year and therefore fenced three terraces which included the wallow.  The boars just moved on to the other stream and carried on. They have never breached the fence, it's only metre high sheep wire fencing. The badgers go underneath it but as they are under a foot high it doesn't matter.

Until they, if it is boars, cause a problem I'd leave it, but a trail-cam and enjoy the show 😊

All the best,

Chris & Hellen on the Gardunha's 👍

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

Dogs, might have an effect for a short time, but if there is food for the boars, they will be back, and they are not scared of dogs.

Admin
(@astridff)

I remember when we had pigs on our Quinta, I went to feed them on day and found another mouth to feed. A young Javali had gotten into the electric fence but couldn’t get out. That young boar lived with us for 12 months and lived like our pigs.

once he got to age, with tusks, he ended up fighting our other boat for the ladies attention. With too many injuries, we decided it was time to do something and our neighbour was licensed to hunt. The javali did have a good life.

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

So I asked a Portuguese friend if he had a solution to the boars.

He said 'Do you have a gun?', I said no 'Do You?'. 

He replied 'I'm not allowed have a gun because of this' as he pointed to his head.

I resisted the urge to ask the next question..............

Community Member
(@ridgerunners732)
Eminent Member

Few meals are as satisfying as a great boar stew (cinghiale in Italy).  Haven't had it in Portugal, but I certainly will if I find it on a menu. They are enormously destructive and in the rural and mountain areas many US states, they are a 'shoot on sight' animal. I say harvest and enjoy. From boar bacon to stew - take it from two chefs - good eatin'!

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member

Hi Janet,

Enormously destructive 😳

Not in our experience of living with a visiting family for four years 😊

You have to remember, this is Portugal 👍

It's all a bit laid-back, even the javali 😘

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

@ridgerunners732 @christopherdouglas 

Hello All,

We had them a couple of years ago and they almost destroyed 2 lawns. Left an enormous jig saw puzzle which took a year to complete. This time they didn't get into the garden but we have a vineyard in front and we could see great furrows where they had been digging and we could hear grunting. The latter might have been the owner of the vineyard of course 😊  However all quiet at the moment and hopefully they ended up on someone's dinner plate.  

If I see any evidence again, I'll hire one of you gun slingers 😀 

Page 2 / 3

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online