Do long term rentals allow dogs? – Pets, Animals and Wildlife – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Do long term rentals allow dogs?

Zoom
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@zoom)
Eminent Member

Have noticed that rental websites don't seem to offer any info or filters for pets - do most rentals allow dogs? Here in the US, Zillow and similar sites have a filter for "pets allowed" - some landlords ask for an extra deposit.

Amit

4 Replies

Admin
(@carlm)
Estimable Member

Hi Amit
As I understand it, you can't discriminate against pet owners in Portugal. Further, I've found people to be very relaxed about having cats and dogs (AND Chickens!) here. It also seems very reasonable to me, to ask for a bit of a deposit or indemnity against possible pet damage.
It's certainly a lot more relaxed and friendly than my native UK (-:

1 Reply
 Zoom
Premium Member
(@zoom)

Eminent Member

@carlm That explains why there is no mention of pets on the real estate sites - thanks! Yeah, I'd certainly understand a deposit or even a reasonable non-refundable payment.

And yes, that's certainly an improvement over renting the US, as we found out when we sold our house and started renting a couple years ago.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

I don't know what the LAW says but if I were renting my house, I would not allow pets for the simple reason that my husband has a lot of allergies to animal dander. Allergies bad enough to require steroids sometimes. We have never had a dog or cat, only tropical fish. We don't rent out our house but I am just mentioning a good reason why some people MAY restrict renters with pets.

@peggyL

1 Reply
 Zoom
Premium Member
(@zoom)

Eminent Member

@peggyl That makes sense if you're renting it furnished - we're looking for an unfurnished place. And I also have allergies to cats, so we'd never rent a furnished place that had cats on the furniture earlier.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online