Dog control – Pets, Animals and Wildlife – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

Dog control  

RSS

(@portofakiwi)
Trusted Member VIP Member
06/05/2018 10:00 pm  

I love dogs, grew up on a farm with a lot etc
However walking my my village is very stressful, every second house has 2-3 that are aggressive but usually locked behind fences. But there are also quite a few loose, at least some of which seem stray.
I've now had to defend myself twice from small packs that have actually attacked rather than just threatened to do so. (All I'm doing is walking down public roads, I turn and face them down if they attack rather than running away, but when there 4-5 they are quite bold).

I thought I'd go and ask at the local Camara about this situation, but communication is an issue despite them being very kind and helpful, so some prior knowledge would be appreciated for those in the know please. So any help around the following would be appreciated please...

Do dogs have to be licensed and should they have a collar and tag with owner details?
Is there usually a dog control officer or similar in each area?
Is there usually a reporting approach to take that they appreciate?
(I was thinking of taking pictures of them and noting down the place on a map).

Any help for me and the dogs appreciated please...

alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
07/05/2018 2:43 am  

PortofaKiwi wrote:

> Is there usually a dog control officer or similar in each area?
Yes - the Câmara, or the GNR. The Câmara should have a dog catcher and kennel for these dogs.
> Is there usually a reporting approach to take that they appreciate?
> (I was thinking of taking pictures of them and noting down the place on a
> map).
It will be accepted, but probably not be acted upon
>
> Any help for me and the dogs appreciated please...
Take a stick and a loud voice with you. Portuguese dogs are afraid of humans (guess why)
New laws were passed last year, but are unlikely to be enforced.

All dogs are supposed to be chipped, vaccinated and registered with the Junta. They should be on a lead or with a muzzle. There are fines which can be imposed if the GNR decide to check the papers of dog owners instead of those of car drivers.

You should not feed feral dogs. If you you may be considered their owner and will need to chip and vaccinate them.

It is recognised that there is a big problem with feral dogs, but so far the official response has only been only, laws and not action.

I have a dog which I walk every day. From time to time my regular routes are closed by such dogs. Sometimes , but not always, it is because a bitch is on season, and the male ferals are attracted,

Kindness towards animals in Portugal is a relatively new concept. It is catching on, but like racial intolerance in N Europe, will take a generation or more to be resolved. I freely admit to some racial prejudice, but that is how I was brought up, and it will most likely never go away. The same applies to animal treatment here in Portugal.

Alan

ReplyQuote
 embu
(@embu)
Active Member Community Member
16/09/2020 8:43 am  

Doesn't sound good 😒 

ReplyQuote

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online