Dogs on Trains – Pets, Animals and Wildlife – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

Dogs on Trains  

Page 1 / 4

VIP Member
(@marian-silvester)
Reputable Member

Hello

I just wondered what the situation is regarding travelling on trains with a dog? I think it is 50% ticket price. But is anyone aware of any restrictions, or conditions (such as muzzling etc.?) My dog is an elderly terrier, too old to be anything but well-behaved anymore . . . and we would be travelling to Lisbon with him, from Curia.

Any tips, information, personal experience . . . do share!

Cheers

17 Replies

VIP Member
(@lobito)
Famed Member

VIP Member
(@marian-silvester)
Reputable Member

Obrigada Lobito

But . . . has anyone taken their dog on a train and been asked for papers . . . and is muzzling enforced? If so - I'll need to make one . . . he's an old gentleman (16) and it really is undignified! :?

I've not yet seen a dog on a train . . . which is why I'm interested in personal experience.

Thanks . . .

VIP Member
(@jill_1580291577)
Reputable Member

I regularly take my dog on the train. It is a "dog fare" you pay(50%). You need a dog passport (even when travelling within pt only) & they inspect it to check that the rabies vaccination is up to date before they will even issue the ticket for travel. I would advise arriving at least 20 mins before your train departure, as they are not usually familiar with dogs travelling & have to check the rule book, or make telephone calls. They will ask to see your muzzle, & once on board it is STRICTLY enforced that the dog has to wear a muzzle for the whole duration of the journey, no matter how long, or how hot it is, or how sweet natured the dog is. (& temperatures on the old un-airconditioned trains can be horrendously hot) So I would strongly advise buying a muzzle which will allow your dog to pant. I bought a leather muzzle, which I oiled to make soft & comfortable, for 8€

VIP Member
(@marian-silvester)
Reputable Member

Hello Jill

Thanks for that . . . that is helpful. And it is useful to know about the muzzles etc.

At our station tickets are bought on the train . . . so who knows how that might go. Might reconsider my travel options . . . Really helpful, thank you.

Page 1 / 4

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online