Parrot and canary – Pets, Animals and Wildlife – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Parrot and canary

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@kiwifruit)
Eminent Member

Has anyone noticed the parrot (I think it's an African Grey) and the canary that are kept looking utterly miserable in tiny cages behind the till at the garden centre in Vila Nova do Poiares? Neither of them has room to move -- the canary can just about turn around on its tiny perch.

I have fantasies about buying them and rehousing them in some kind of spectacular aviary, but don't have the space for this and also the idea of keeping a bird in a cage anyway appeals to me about as much as having a dog chained up in the toilet.

Just mentioning this in case anyone fancies having a pet parrot or canary and can offer them a better life! 🙂

2 Replies

VIP Member
(@global-nomad)
Estimable Member

I'm not yet in Portugal so I can't help directly but it sounds like a great cause so why not set-up a collection to help fund either you doing something or some other kind volunteer. I'll kick it off with a 50 Euro contribution. We'll just need to figure out how to channel the funds. What do you think?

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@kiwifruit)
Eminent Member

I think it's a sweet idea, but unfortunately Portugal is full of caged birds and there would be no end to it unless we took it on as an ongoing "rescued bird" sanctuary!

I wouldn't even want to keep a captive bird, I just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else did, as it's something that depresses me every time I go to the garden centre (which thankfully is not often).

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online