Experience getting utilities in Porto – Porto and surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Experience getting utilities in Porto

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@longhornlady)
Trusted Member

Hello Everyone: I want to share my experiences, which are ongoing, regarding getting utilities to my new apartment here in Porto.

Previously, in Lisbon, I had purchased a phone card which just happened to be with NOS. I had a few issues with it, getting topped up with time, etc. in which my data would not work. It finally took a trip to the iStore (Apple affiliate) to get it fixed. In the mean time, NOS assigned me a second phone number which I like better because I can remember it!

I applied to have my apartment installed with Internet, Television and landline in addition to a permanent mobile contract. However, they called me, (Thank goodness I was with my real estate agent who speaks Portuguese!) because they wanted to install a satellite dish. My apartment is in a new, cable ready building. He told them NO DISH!

Next day, I went to NOS store to figure it out and why my mobile was also not working again only to be told by a very rude woman that I have no contract, no data, goodbye. She did say I can keep my number once I figure out who can use available wiring.

Taken aback, but not deterred, I went across the street to MEO where the reception I received was quite different. They do have access to my building, and quickly set me up with Internet, mobile phone, Television, landline AND a 32" television for 50 euro per month. He explained they could make the installation Friday, June 4. Surprise, a woman I met while in the office called me speaking English, no less to tell me they had a cancellation and could have technicians out at 5pm the same day! 

I went to my apartment at 5. Technicians arrived at 5:30 and now I have Internet, etc. and a working mobile phone! YAY!

Electricity was set up by my real estate agent and was installed Monday, 31 May. MEO however, also wanted to be my electricity provider so I agreed to that. The one concern is my real estate agent is afraid there may be a penalty for breaking my previous electricity contract. I called my MEO agent and he assured me there would be no problem. Still not quite sure, I translated a few section of my old contract and it "appears" that I had a 14 day grace period. Still not sure about this.

Porto water is municipal and is where I should have started on Monday. It is a bureaucracy and once set up online, I still had to go in person, whereupon they told me 5-7 days! If it were not for the water situation, I would already be moved in, but now I wait in my rented room for the Aguas do Porto snails to finally decide when I can have an appointment for water to be turned on.

I will update this once I have water.

6 Replies

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@longhornlady)
Trusted Member

In addition to the information above, be sure you have your NIF, your IBAN (They want to autodebit everything; get over it if you are an American!) and a pdf of your rental contract to acquire all utilities and internet.

I asked my real estate agent about identity theft which although a rampant problem in the US, I had to explain at length, whereupon he said, "That does not happen in Portugal."

Community Member
(@arteastronomical)

For electricity there are no fidelity period.

By law you have 15 days to cancel any contract, it's the appreciation (not know if this the right English word) period. Even if you buy a product (in a store) you can give back without question ask. there are some exceptions in the law like underwear and similar products. I give back at worten store last week my Dlink modem because he was more slow than my portátil modem at a speedtest.  

Electricity and water, water is always from the municipality (it's considered essential goods to live) there are no fidelity period.

Cellphone/internet/cable there are 2 years of fidelity period, because they need to install everything and give you the modem and the line phone. 

I'm Portuguese and never know that MEO (internet/cable provider) have now electricity, i need to see their prices. I have endesa electricity.

About autodebit normally is good because they give you some discount in the price if you receive the bills by email and not by mail (letter) and charge you by autodebit. My cellphone bill is from NOWO and they give me a discount of 2,5€/month. I pay only 10€/month (If they send me the letter i need to pay 12,5€).

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

In case anyone needs phone/internet for less than 2 years, all the providers have options from as little as 6 months, but they're more expensive and they won't tell you unless you ask. (The same is true if you only want internet, nothing else. You can have it, but they won't offer it unless you insist.)

It is common for apartments/condominiums to only be wired for one of the three providers, so check with your condominium administration to find out if this is the case. Sometimes there is more than one, but only one is up to date in terms of speed etc.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@longhornlady)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the info. Water may be essential but it is tough to get it started originally.

1 Reply
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@longhornlady indeed. In an ideal world, you and the previous owner liaise over this, perhaps even going at the same time to the Águas office, taking them off and putting you on (as I have done on two occasions). This isn't always possible; and second best is getting the dates sorted in terms of them notifying them they're stopping the service but someone is taking over, immediately before you ask to be connected.

The issue stems from the physical cutoff, which doesn't seem to be normal in the UK/US, at least not to the point of removing the meter! So, if you buy somewhere that has been unoccupied for some time, it can take longer as no joining up of approaches to happen. If you can join up, it may never be disconnected at all in physical terms.

The water delay in your case may not be helped by tomorrow's bank holiday, with Friday being a bridging day for many people, so a three day working week - if you missed the slots for Wednesday, they probably immediately moved to next Monday  (Same again next week 😂) Hope it's on soon! I remember the unexpected hotel nights for the same reason, first time around!

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online