Porto Meetup - Page 2 – Porto and surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Porto Meetup

117 Posts
16 Users
169 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@hank_2021)

Hi everyone,

Konni & I are interested in getting a regular meeting going in Porto/Gaia. Please let us know if you are interested and we can discuss potential locations and meeting times and frequency.

We have some ideas, but we would love to hear your input before posting a time and place!

Topic Tags
116 Replies

Wael
Community Member
(@wael)

Hi

count me in .

12 Replies
Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

@wael Great news! Any preferences for venues or dates to meet?

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@hank_2021 Hi Hank,

We really liked the rooftop of the restaurant we all met at. @Misticjeff is back early September and we have SEF later this month. So maybe one for mid-September?

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

@jonesdn2020 It seems the discussion is moving towards a mid-September get together. Let's keep the feedback going and see how it goes, but that certainly works for everyone so far.

I like the rooftop restaurant too, it was pretty cool. I'm wondering how hard it was to get to for folks? Would it be better to find something a little closer to the Metro? It was pretty close, but for people who hadn't been there before or to Porto in general, would it be better to make it as easy as possible? Maybe something close to a reasonable hotel and Metro?

What do you think? Bert? Jeff? What do you guys think?

Bert
Community Member
(@bert)

@hank_2021 Well it depends on what you are looking for. Something familiar or venturing out to someplace unfamiliar to get to know the city better? Close to metro lines is probably a plus depending on where people are coming from. Since I tend to be crazy, trying something new is always interesting to me.

Bert
Community Member
(@bert)

Here is a place in the Boavista neighborhood with lots of food and drink choices and right off the casa da música metro stop https://www.mercadobomsucesso.pt/en/

I know you like beer. Here is a craft beer place in Matosinhos

https://www.hoptrip.pt/

North of Bolhao

https://www.cervejacolossus.pt/

Cedofeita

https://catraio.pt/en/content/4-about-us

just a couple. But you guys are the beer experts

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@hank_2021 We walked from the Bus station next to the metro to our hotel which was further than the restaurant. We thought it was easy.

The restaurant rooftop was very cool with the view.

@Bert came from the bus station to the restaurant with luggage in tow. Let's see what she has to say.

Bert
Community Member
(@bert)

@jonesdn2020 For me I am easy. I will be in the city with visitors likely. Whatever you all decide on.

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

@hank_2021, et al:  So if it becomes "regular" and your first one is mid-Sept., then perhaps the 2nd one will be mid-OCT...when WE can be in the hood to join and meet the gang(if you'll have us). That would be great enrichment for our OCT. scout trip (finally!).  We'll keep an eye on your developments. Thanks, Allison & Michael

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

@alleycat don't know why we couldn't!

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

@alleycat Agree with Jeff. It should become regular in at least some form.

Wael
Community Member
(@wael)

@hank_2021 Hey Bro i am still newbie in Porto so whatever you decide i am in about the time my appointment is still in November before that i am wide open .

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

@wael Absolutely!

Bert
Community Member
(@bert)

For sure will be in Porto 9/6-8 and 9/16 (I think) -20 with US visitors. Am always amenable to other dates too as I am in the process of looking for a flat up there. 

3 Replies
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@bert 

Thanks for throwing out some dates.

Seeing if we can coordinate with others on aspects of travel and places to stay. We will be coming up from Lisbon like before. We start our journey at the Alameda Metro and end it there. Last visit we stayed at the Legendary Porto Hotel and enjoyed it. 

The last trip was by bus due to the potential train strikes in July.

We recently read that the mask requirement will be removed for the schools when they open in September. We are hoping for the state of alert, that ends this month, will be over for masks on transportation.

Bert
Community Member
(@bert)

@jonesdn2020 Don't be surprised if they remove the mandate and then replace it later in the fall when cases have the potential to go up when it gets colder. For me, I will continue to mask on public transportation. An ounce of prevention.......

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

@bert Same. I don't like getting sick with anything.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@hank_2021)

Just wanted to remind any lurkers that the discussion is open to all and all are welcomed. It would be great to have as many people there as possible. Please don't hesitate to chip in your thoughts!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@hank_2021)

Tagging @Konni so she is updated on the thread.

Premium Plus member
(@cogewea)

Hi folks,

Fred and I (Tammy) should be in the Matosinhos area, hopefully, by the end of August. We'd love to be a part of the group!

T

3 Replies
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@cogewea We would love to meet up with you and Fred. What has it been a year online already?

Premium Plus member
(@cogewea)

@jonesdn2020 It has been! At least a year! Yes, as soon as we arrive and get settled in, we'd love to get together. Let's make it happen!

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

@cogewea Beautiful! Hope to see you soon!

Page 2 / 9

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal