Welcome to Porto! – Porto and surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Welcome to Porto!

36 Posts
12 Users
54 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@longhornlady)

This is our first official post to the Porto group.

My name is Paula and I arrived in Porto a week ago from Southern California and am finding my way around. 
I found an apartment and should be able to move in June 1.

There are a lot of details involved so I recommend a good agent. I chose Coldwell Banker because it is a US company with a good reputation.

There is a lot of misinformation out there but you should be aware that agents here  are not licensed like in the US. Brokers are licensed and some train their agents while others do not.

Agents should be paid (commission splits) by sellers/landlords but many ask for one month’s rent to be a buyer’s agent. They get listings off of websites like idealista. They may not know what is required by immigration for the D7 or other visas. 

Buyer beware!

35 Replies

Premium Member
(@ericj)

Glad to see a Porto Group get started.  My Wife and I will be visiting Portugal in September from North Carolina.  We will be visiting Lisbon, Coimbra and Porto in hopes of finding a City we would like to retire to.....

10 Replies
Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@livinginusa feel free to message me when you get to Porto.

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@livinginusa

my daughter just moved to North Carolina.

Premium Member
(@ericj)

@longhornlady NC is definitely a good bridge to the next place.  I was living in NY prior to moving here.......

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@livinginusa

I think it is definitely a bridge for her. She just finished her MBA and is looking for an east coast job.

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@ericj 

Where do y'all live in NC? We're in Asheville. 

Premium Member
(@ericj)

@lissa Charlotte

Premium Member
(@jayg)

@ericj My wife and I will be in Bonfim next week woohoo!!  We fly in Saturday (9/3).. This will be our first exploratory trip to Portugal.  We would love to meetup with a few other expats and (expat wannabes) next week 🙂

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

@jayg I live in Bonfim.  I get back from the U.S. on the 6th so may be able to meet you guys for a coffee and @hank_2021 lives in Gaia so could 'possibly' make the arduous trek across the bridge.

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@misticjeff sounds good.

I will be going to California at the end of this month or beginning of October. Hope to catch you before I leave. 

Premium Member
(@ericj)

@jayg We won't be back in PT until our next visit scheduled for end of February 2023.

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Porto looks amazing. You must be thrilled to be in Portugal.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@ralf

Loving it!

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

@longhornlady I grew up on SoCal (Goleta) and Parts of Portugal remind me of that area. Enjoy!

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@ralf

Climate is very similar.

Anonymous

My wife and I are in our early 60's. We plan on retiring from the American rat-race in the next couple of years and moving from Portland, Oregon to Portugal, to enjoy life, community and culture, and, to devote ourselves to our respective arts  -- she is a tapestry artist, I am a musician (composer/performer).

At the moment, we are focusing on the Porto area - particularly Vila Nova de Gaia. We plan top visit next year and spend a month traveling around and exploring, before we decide on a final location to settle in.

We're excited about starting a new chapter in our lives - and, very much looking forward to connecting with expats and integrating into the local community.

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@davidgaliel 

Feel free to contact me when you come visit and I will meet you and give you my impressions and any help I can to get you oriented to the Porto/Gaia lifestyle.

Community Member
(@sheels)

@longhornlady 

I'll be in Porto starting this weekend doing some scouting.  Would love to meet you and get some advice and orientation.  thank you in advance! 

Fos
Community Member
(@fos)

@longhornlady Paula,

I sent a note on another post you made regarding real estate in which you recommended a particular guy from Coldwell Banker.  My wife and I will be in Porto Mon April 11th - 16th "scouting" locations and doing research for potentially retiring there.  Wondering if you might have time to connect and share some of your experience and wisdom.

Thanks,

Michael

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

@davidgaliel Hello David, my partner and I are also in the process of retiring from the ARR/hamster wheel.... we have been "touring" PT on the web and have recently been considering Vila Nova de Gaia as well. We come from the CA Bay Area (with a stop-over in Texas) and are looking forward to the lifestyle change and all the aspects that living in PT holds promise for. Your post here was put up last July, did you take your scouting trip yet? Still enamored with Gaia? Just wanted to say hi and if we end up living in Gaia,(or elsewhere, PT is petite) perhaps we can get together for sharing good times.  We hope to make our move by this Summer.  PT or Bust! 

Premium Member
(@brandy)

@longhorn lady/Paula, thank you for sharing your experiences in Porto! My husband and I are really interested in moving to Porto, based only on our research so far, and will be visiting in September for a few weeks.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts about Bonfim? We appreciate all of the good things we've read about it, such as it being a good balance of quiet residential and lively and that it's in close walking distance to everything (including to the metro when "everything" is a little too far)--are there any downsides?

Lastly, based on your own home-shopping, was it easy to find a place to rent that would accept cats? We'll be bringing our three cats with us, and although someone on the forum told us that more than four isn't allowed in flats, we haven't yet been advised how challenging it might be to find a place that will accept our three.

Thank you!

Page 1 / 3

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal