Welcome to Porto! – Porto and surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Welcome to Porto!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@longhornlady)
Trusted Member

This is our first official post to the Porto group.

My name is Paula and I arrived in Porto a week ago from Southern California and am finding my way around. 
I found an apartment and should be able to move in June 1.

There are a lot of details involved so I recommend a good agent. I chose Coldwell Banker because it is a US company with a good reputation.

There is a lot of misinformation out there but you should be aware that agents here  are not licensed like in the US. Brokers are licensed and some train their agents while others do not.

Agents should be paid (commission splits) by sellers/landlords but many ask for one month’s rent to be a buyer’s agent. They get listings off of websites like idealista. They may not know what is required by immigration for the D7 or other visas. 

Buyer beware!

9 Replies

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)
Trusted Member

Glad to see a Porto Group get started.  My Wife and I will be visiting Portugal in September from North Carolina.  We will be visiting Lisbon, Coimbra and Porto in hopes of finding a City we would like to retire to.....

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Trusted Member

@livinginusa feel free to message me when you get to Porto.

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Trusted Member

@livinginusa

my daughter just moved to North Carolina.

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Trusted Member

@longhornlady NC is definitely a good bridge to the next place.  I was living in NY prior to moving here.......

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Trusted Member

@livinginusa

I think it is definitely a bridge for her. She just finished her MBA and is looking for an east coast job.

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)
Eminent Member

Porto looks amazing. You must be thrilled to be in Portugal.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Trusted Member

@ralf

Loving it!

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Eminent Member

@longhornlady I grew up on SoCal (Goleta) and Parts of Portugal remind me of that area. Enjoy!

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Trusted Member

@ralf

Climate is very similar.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online