Buying a place 1km from a chicken farm, an issue? – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Buying a place 1km from a chicken farm, an issue?

7 Posts
6 Users
6 Likes
Premium Plus member
Topic starter
(@me2)

We found a lovely place, for us, and inspected and are arranging a mortgage.

And we discovered the place is 1 km from an up wind chicken farm. How are chicken farms in portugal as smelly as they are in the US? Any guidance, suggestions?

We love the property, have never been there, on silver coast, and know the winds and the direction of the chicken farm with 4 chicken houses. There is a lovely vineyard between us and the farm just 1km and wind from that direction…

all ideas and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Phil

6 Replies
Community Member
(@daveinva)

Roosters can be pretty loud and obnoxious at times,

1 Reply
Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@daveinva ...and you can have them next door almost anywhere in Portugal 😄 even in city centres at times, even though this is not strictly permitted!

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Tricky one. As gardeners who buy chicken manure pellets know, the smell rather than noise I would think is the thing. I like the sound of a few chickens and cockerel nearby. I'd hate to be near a chicken farm because I dislike the conditions they live in, it would be a daily reminder to me. Also is it chickens for slaughter or eggs or both? Will there be many trucks coming up and down noisily to pick up chickens/eggs?

Remember if you think you will sell the property at some point the next potential buyer may similar reservations. Having said that, my house is a couple of km from a small sewage plant which the surveyor mentioned. As I drive along the road there is a point where you smell it but the general wind direction means it doesn’t come near my house.

1 Reply
Premium Plus member
(@me2)

@aspidistra from our online research the chickens are for slaughter or meat. And Yes, it is the smell that concerns us. My wife was concerned about the trucks and I think they are a far enough away to be less of an issue then the smell. The property is accessed by a road other then one we are on and a line of woods and a vineyard divide us from the road.

Community Member
(@martin)

would not buy- as stated above others might not love it like you do when its time to sell - plus what if they expand the site?

Vera
Community Member
(@crad)

The main question here is how much do you love the property!? Are you willing to spend an extra 2 or 3 thousand in creating a green barrier? If yes, get the property, because you can always design your way out of the problem, especially if you'll be a kilometre away.

I have designed noise and pollution barriers for Highway England, and dense shrubbery to protect agent smells and other pollution for residential properties. If you have the right architect/ team and are willing to spend a bit more, you can solve the problem; however, your views may be interrupted.

I hope this helps,

Daniyal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal