Buying in PT, Best way to Transfer $ from US? – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Buying in PT, Best way to Transfer $ from US?

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@brittan)

If you have moved to PT from the US and bought a home, how did you transfer funds for your new purchase? 

Bank Wire?

XE? 

Any insight would be appreciated. 

8 Replies

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)
Trusted Member

@brittan I've been using Transferwise to make period transfers from the US to my PT Bank Account........very satisfied.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@brittan)

@livinginusa

I presume this is for your monthly, I am inquiring about a one time large sum.

Premium Member
(@ellieb)

Hi Eric, would you mind elaborating on the PT bank used? any detail appreciated.

Thanks, Elise

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Trusted Member

@ellieb I'm using Millennium

Community Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

I have also been using transferwise for various xfers from the USA to eu countries. Never for an amount large enough to purchase property, but all my transfers  were executed correctly and promptly.  A transfer is a transfer, I think, irrespective of monthly or one-off. 

But perhaps two issues here: reliability of the service, to which i'd give a 10/10 score; and the FX plus any fees rate, for which you would need to compare with your other transfer options. 

Premium Member
(@michael_tn)
Trusted Member

FWIW, one of our financial companies, Schwab, does international wire transfers for $15US. They take a few days to get done, but so far this has satisfied out needs. 

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)
Trusted Member

TransferWise has a limit of $15K per a day, so TW unfortunately cannot be used for large sums. Also be aware, that your bank from which you are transferring money via TW may put a hold on a wire suspecting there was a fraud and hold it until you contact your bank and confirm that you initiated the wire.

We were advised by our bank to use bank-to-bank transfers for the large sums. Depending on your standings with the bank such wires might go without any transfer fees. We have not tried such large wires yet, though.

Page 1 / 2

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online