Expats Portugal Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

spartan Fx

Can my landlord increase rent by 20% in the middle of the lease?

4 Posts
3 Users
8 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@navarrojuan)

Hi all,

Nice to meet you all. First time here, i was hoping somebody could help my wife and I 🙂 Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time. 

Here is the situation:

I have a contract for a rental in Lisbon for 2 years with my landlord ending early 2024 and I got a message recently saying the rent will go up in the next 2 months by 20%. 

In the contract it says they are allowed to increase yearly following the local laws and coefficient, which if I understand it is now limited to 2%. 

Would anybody know if:

• Can they increase by 20% in the middle of the lease?
  • If we fight back, could the decide to not renew us when the contract ends early 2024, or do they have the obligation to continue it if we wanted to (we did not break any clauses) 
  • If we agreed to an increase now (whatever the % it was) by early 2023 when the contract comes to renewal, if we renewed, can they increase it again? Is there a limit?

Many thanks, all help is much appreciated.

3 Replies

Community Member
(@sonia)

The rent increases are done at the beginning of the year and using the coefficient set by the government, and the landlord has to notify the tenant in writing and in advance of the increase.  

Without having read the contract I think this increase is not legal so you can certainly oppose to this increase.

The landlord can always refuse to renew, being it a result of you fighting back or any other reason, and with the offer and demand the way it is now I suspect in the end he will not want to renew, if he does a new contract he will certainly ask for more rent that what you pay now.

A renewal means that the conditions remain the same, so an increase means a new contract or an addendum to the existing one.

If you decide to accept the increase in rent you should ask for an addendum to be added to the existing contract since that is a change on its conditions.

In any case you should seek legal advice to help you.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@shortiao)

@sonia our landlady recently tried the same. I literally told her no and she's not been back on contact

Community Member
(@sonia)

@shortiao

We have a portuguese saying that goes like this «atirar o barro à parede a ver se cola» literally it means to throw clay to a wall to see if it sticks, that’s what your landlady did, had you not told her no the clay would have sticked.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Share: