Circulating heat from wood burner... – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Circulating heat from wood burner...

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@nickallport)
Honorable Member

Hi folks,

I know the whole issue of wood burners/heating has been done to death on here, but I've just been searching and I cannot really find the information I'm looking for.

We have aircon heating, which is fine and everything, but expensive. We have a large salamandra (14k) in our kitchen/dining room, which is a big open plan space with a kind of mezzanine above that where I work, and then two bedrooms and a bathroom coming off that.

During the day I get the salamandra going and it heats downstairs and my office area. However, I'd really like to get some of this heat into the two bedrooms, as we have good insulation there now and if I can get those rooms warm during the day/evening, they'll stay warm until the morning and we won't have to use the aircon.

Anyway, we have a local builder doing some stuff for us, and he's suggesting attaching a tube to the flue, running it in a big circle upstairs through the rooms and back into the flue.

Would this actually work? It sounds a bit too good to be true. And also won't it affect the pull of the chimney and make the fire harder to get going?

Anybody got any other suggestions? I'm open to changing the salamandra to something else if necessary as I can put that somewhere else.

Cheers, Nick

10 Replies

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

The principles ok but not actually making it part of chimney, as you say it would seriously affect the performance of fire itself apart from the added danger of hot pipes around.

Ideally you need to fit a heat exchanger onto the existing flue or into chimney void that generally takes air from an outside source passes through the heat exchanger and then ducts the warmed air to where you want it.
How efficient will depend on heat available, length of pipe runs and whether you can insulate those pipes/ducts between heat exchanger and outlet.
Is it feasible yes, depends on your house layout, ideally a loft where heat exchange unit can go and ducts run, exchanger itself can be pricey but ductwork, insulation, vents reasonable as you can substitute for locally sourced product.

Or another option would be replacing salamander with a wood pellet fire that can heat & do C/H & H/W in this localised area, quite possibly a better long term solution and no logs :)

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@nickallport)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the reply.

Doing something in the loft is not really an option as that is sealed and insulated with an airspace above the false ceiling.

There's a length of flue above the salamandra where a heat exchanger could go, but then the flue disappears into the wall, but as you say, you need air from somewhere to make that work.

Before I go down the route of pellet boiler/water/radiators etc, which could actually go somewhere else and heat that whole side of the house, but is expensive, would replacing the salamandra with a recuperador work? I find it hard to find information in English as to how these work exactly.

Thanks! Nick

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi Nick

The link below is to how to use the heat wasted from the flue. It seems very interesting and worth a look maybe of help to you.

Peter " Dreams can come true "

http://heat-booster.com/page7/index.html

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

Basically a fire box with a larger box around it on 3 sides with one or more outlets to duct air to other rooms, generally fan driven draw air in from front of fire then around fire box out through ducts, basic heat exchanger, but same issues apply you need to get ducts to other rooms, longer the ducts the less efficient, I have 1 for sale with Inox surround only in 1 season we then replaced with a back boiler
http://www.solzaima.pt/catalogos/Brochu ... N%2010.pdf
the 2 squares on top of fire are where the square to round converters fit to duct air

I mentioned pellet stove if you keep size down then cost is also less so might be suitable as a local circuit system, as you scale up your looking at boiler size units that are dearer but also suited to garage other areas to install, not something you'd want in a living area :( in last post about heat recover if you remember we discussed something along Peter's link but there seemed to be issues on pressure & safety if I recall

Page 1 / 3

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online