electricity – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

electricity

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@rubyru)

Hello all from a rather chilly Yorkshire..not nice.
I have looked and cannot find the answer so here it goes....
if you a place ,registered as urban and building classed as a shed , and the nearest electric pole is 300meters away can you apply for mains electricity without a project? I have got so many conflicting reports on this so I am baffled.For example ,if I want to keep goats in the building but give them light then I should be able to get power without a project .....?.Am in UK at the mo so cannot visit the local council /electric company to enquire .Thanks in advance for your information.
rubyru

8 Replies
VIP Member
(@shelby)

What type of electricity is 300mt away?
High voltage electricity needs a step-down box €12000 plus the cost of pylons,cabling and runs into thousands.

Normal domestic electricity is different.
You need someone who can do the paperwork and build a EDP approved junction box, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, they send out inspectors to check and arrange the cabling this should cost about €2000 / €2500 total

There is someone in Tabua that will do this for you and I will pm you with his details, he has done a lot of work for British in my immediate area but speaks no English so I will also give you a honest translators details. No project is / was required.

When we bought our farm it had agriculture electricity enough to run a couple of pumps and a few lights, when we started the conversion we were allowed to up the power to run a few more things but heavy electricity use( microwave, tv's fridges, elect kettles, oil radiators) caused the mains to fuse.
We had to show a project number for EDP to increase the power to run all our electricity requirement

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@rubyru)

Morning Shelby,
many thanks for the reply.It is normal domestic electricity that is nearby.
I would be grateful for the details of the person in Tabua.
Rubyru.

VIP Member
(@mrforja)

Things may well of changed but when we started work on our project 8 years ago we asked the same question and were told to go down the same route of temporary supply as the local fiestas do the local electrian already had the boxes which he uses for this purpose, a small rent was paid for this… think it was about 96 Euros to EDP to connect up

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@rubyru)

Thanks for that mrforja,
how far were you from your nearest post if you don't mind me asking?
I'm sort of trying to work out what we need really.A full solar system is way too expensive for us for now although ideally we would be self powered.However ,paying up to 3,000 Euro for a very limited supply also seems excessive.I'm thinking it may be best to use that figure on solar now and see what we can get as opposed to what we need.Our electrical needs will be less than in the UK but not sure that agricultural supply will give us enough.I wish I knew more about electricity because nothing I read sinks in or is retained by my getting old brain!

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal