Eucalyptus - what’s the profit? – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Eucalyptus - what’s the profit?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@free_spirit)

Hi, I am currently considering my options, I know eucalyptus is a fire risk but I also know it’s farmed and I’m just wondering how much people make from eucalyptus and if it’s an investment worth making? 
Many thanks x

11 Replies

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Reputable Member

As far as I know, since 2018 that new eucalyptus plantations are forbiden. They can only be re-planted in the defined areas where they already exist.

8 Replies
Community Member
(@free_spirit)

Posted by: @antonio_f

As far as I know, since 2018 that new eucalyptus plantations are forbiden. They can only be re-planted in the defined areas where they already exist.

Ok, but are they profitable?

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Estimable Member

@antonio_f unfortunately, that was promised after the 2017 fire season, but not delivered.  In fact, in November 2021, the government approved increases in total areas of eucalyptus planting of nearly 37.000 hectares across 278 municipalities.  We will see in which year we will pay the price for this.

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Estimable Member

@thomasribatejo This. Is. Insane. Talk about short memories. Many killed in Portugal less than 5 years ago by fires largely fueled by these trees. Ugh.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Estimable Member

@ralf I quite agree.  It is a continual frustration, driving around seeing new and replanted eucalyptus.  I know it's an economic need on the one hand, and feeds a paper industry which is important to Portugal - but there needs to be a planned phasing out of something which is so destructive, directly and indirectly.  As well as the death and destruction a bad fire season could bring, the negative impact on the perception of the country is not without cost.  Eucalyptus also leads to a massive loss of biodiversity, as compared with, say, pine, oak, etc.

Community Member
(@free_spirit)

I seem to have unintentionally opened a can of worms here. I’m just trying to work out income streams if I was to move to Portugal. I understand the contention around eucalyptus, but everyone has to make money and if I buy land with eucalyptus I want to know if I can profit from it in any way to be able to live or set up my new life.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Estimable Member

@free_spirit I suspect you're not getting the answer on the money as no-one here, or no-one who has yet read/had time to respond, knows the answer. 

It is currently perfectly legal to work with the eucalyptus you may have on your land, and to replant. That said, the government has previously promised to substantially reduce the level of eucalyptus cultivation, and whilst it has done the opposite recently, I believe it cannot ignore the issue long-term, given that eucalyptus is the primary fuel for the most devastating forest fires in Portugal. So, I am not convinced it's a safe long-term plan financially, leaving aside the literal risks of the crop, as there could come a time when you are no longer allowed to replant.

There are some online calculators for profit for wood. These all seem to show that eucalyptus is loss-making, compensated by subsidies. I didn't say this sooner as I know an insufficient amount about this to be able to check this indifferent ways, so this may be incorrect.

Community Member
(@free_spirit)

Posted by: @thomasribatejo

@free_spirit I suspect you're not getting the answer on the money as no-one here, or no-one who has yet read/had time to respond, knows the answer. 

It is currently perfectly legal to work with the eucalyptus you may have on your land, and to replant. That said, the government has previously promised to substantially reduce the level of eucalyptus cultivation, and whilst it has done the opposite recently, I believe it cannot ignore the issue long-term, given that eucalyptus is the primary fuel for the most devastating forest fires in Portugal. So, I am not convinced it's a safe long-term plan financially, leaving aside the literal risks of the crop, as there could come a time when you are no longer allowed to replant.

There are some online calculators for profit for wood. These all seem to show that eucalyptus is loss-making, compensated by subsidies. I didn't say this sooner as I know an insufficient amount about this to be able to check this indifferent ways, so this may be incorrect.

Thank you, my long term plan doesn’t include eucalyptus but it may be a part of my journey. I really appreciate you responding so quickly. 

Premium Member
(@healthy_move_portugal)

Eminent Member

@thomasribatejo the government should let those eucalyptus farmers pay for fire damages...many would then reconsider going into eucalyptus (if damages by fires is 10 million have them pay for it, that will do an dent in the revenue)

Community Member
(@brandy)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @free_spirit

Ok, but are they profitable?

@free_spirit, I really hope you'll reconsider. It's very disheartening to read about eucalyptus's ecological destruction and as the fuel source for devastating fires that killed many, only for that information to be punctuated by your interest in profiting from it. Is your spirit completely free of regard for others and for your intended new homeland, as long as there's profit to be made?

Portugal has so many other opportunities for making a living, and if your skillset allows, you can work remotely for a foreign company. Do you have any other options than undertaking the farming of an incredibly dangerous and destructive crop with which you don't even have prior experience?  

Community Member
(@phile)

We've just put an offer in for a small farm with several pine, cork and eucalyptus trees. Ive been told people will pay "good money" for the eucalyptus, but we're planning on using it for fuel for a few years to keep our living costs down

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online